Installing Linux

The two most prominent players for GNU/Linux are Xine and Mplayer. Personally i think both are pretty good. It's not hard at all to install FC2. One of the easiest installation procedures around. Just follow the instructions and you'll be done in a few mins.

I've already tried out FC2 a while back on my PII and i was surprised at how easy to install it was. I just need to know that i can get all the applications i need on it and that they are good enough for my standards (which aren't that high). Thanks for the help and i'v heard about Mplayer, so i'll probably get that. I'm thinking of getting an Athlon 64 2800+ with 512MB DDR400 SDRAM to install FC2 on, so this should be good enough. I just hope that i don't miss Windows too much.

You better get mplayer fast. It's gonna be shut down pretty soon by the european software patents directive.

Say what? Damn, i'm already having trouble downloading MPlayer and now you tell me this? I think i need a look at 'Xine'.

Xine is good but a little tricky to install. You might want to download APT-GET and install Xine through that. What problem r u facing with mplayer?

Well, being a newbie at Linux, i'm confused by all these 'i386', 'binary' and other sortso of things. I don't know which link to click on.

You know 'WINE'? Well, could i use Windows Media Player 10 on FC2 with that?

i386 is the Intel platform. It can get really confusing at times so your best bet would be to stick to i386 for all your software downloads.

You could try WMP 10 on WINE but i wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Ok, i got my new PC today:

Athlon 64 2800+
512MB DDR400 SDRAM
Gigabyte K8NS nForce3 motherboard with hardware firewall
40GB 7200rpm HDD
400-Watt 'Win Power' PSU

Fedora Core 3 was quick to install, but i was disappointed. When i clicked on 'Computer Properties', it didn't tell me the specs of my computer. I also was disappointed by the media players and the office apps. They were a lot different to Windows and i just didn't like it, so i'll probably end up crawling back to Windows, sadly. Then again, with the hardware firewall and Advanced Virus Protection of the A64, i should be ok, as i rarely get viruses anyway.

Back
Top Bottom