AMD Processors Question

yooperjusty

Beta member
Hello Everyone,
I am a beginner in the computer world, and am trying to learn more and more. I am looking at building a new computer, bit by bit, and had a question for all of you about the lineup of AMD processors. I like AMD and want to use an AMD processor, but, I want to know the difference between the different kinds (or bases I guess is what they are); Opteron, XP, Bertone, 64, etc.
I know I should research, but, I figured a computer forum would be the best place to start!
Thanks!

Well the opteron is a 64 bit based cpu that is used mainly for servers or wokstations!! Th Athlon 64 is the main desktop cpu, the best for gaming, not suprisingly this is also 64 bit, some of the athlon 64 core are: winchester, newcastle, venice, clawhammer!! The old athlon xp still uses old 32 bit technology, these are been phased out because of the new developments in tech!! Some of the core for the xp range are: BArton, PAlamino, Thouroughbred!!! I'm not entirely sure wat a bertone is, but I think ur reffering to the BArton core of the Athlon xp!! This core supports 512kb l2 cache and dual ddr support, the highest they took this core (stock) was 2.2ghz! The 64 range is definitely the way to go, with dual cores been developed and faster memory in production!!! However do not go with the socket 754 64 bit athlon as this is also been phased out in favour of the socket 939 cpu's!!

also theres the sempron...spose ya could call it the xp's twin brother, but has half the cache and is more of a value proccy (bit cheaper than the xp)

...and if you can still find them around, the Duron. The Sempron took over what the Duron provided as the budget CPU lineup. Dirt cheap now, but I wouldn't even bother with it.

Thank you for the quick replies,
So, the 64 bit systems each have their own advantages for different purposes?
What are all of the Athlon 64-bit processors? Could someone name all of them for me, and if there is, the advantages of/for each one?
Some more questions;
1. what is (the) cache?
2. Where does the Front Bus Speed come in with these processors?
3. What is the dual core?
4. Where does the speed of the RAM fit in to the picture; is it still DDR Ram, or is there another type/kind now?

Thanks again y'all!

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/31605/

A dual core chip is basically two separate processors on a single chip. Those two processors can outperform single core processors on most multithreaded applications while running at lower clock speeds and consuming less power.

An application with multiple software threads will run faster on a dual-core processor because the operating system can assign an individual thread to its own processor core. Multithreaded applications running on a single-core processor must wait for one thread to finish before another thread can be processed.

Or they use Hyperthreading :D

Cache is the buffer of sorts, of Data going into the processor; its where the data to be processed is stored so that it can be got at very quickly by the processor.

The Speed of the RAM comes into the picture in how fast the Computer can get Data from the RAM into the Cache and the Processor and out again, if the RAM is slower than the Processor on Fast or Processor intensive things like Encoding where the Cache cannot hold everything required to Process it will be slower than it could be.

Ok,
1. How do you tell if it is a single or dual-channel memory controller? Is
it simply by the socket number/type?
2. What is the "nm" mean for the "process"?
3. If I were to purchase a motherboard with the 939 socket type, would I be able to upgrade to any AMD processor with a 939 socket type?

4. Take for example the Athlon 64 3800+....what does the "3800+" mean or stand for? And, how do you match RAM up to this? As far as I know, RAM is measured by "PC" and then 2700 or 3200, etc....am I correct....is the "2700" number what you match up to, say, the "3800+" number on the athlon processor, indicating you want "pc3800 RAM"??

5. Is the Athlon 64 series the only 64-bit processors by AMD?
6. Is dual-core and dual-channel the same thing?
7. Thank you for the link TRDCorolla1!, Do you have any more related to these questions I have, and, if ANYBODY has the patience, add me to your AIM or yahoo or msn, my sn is "Yooperjusty"

Back
Top Bottom