Pentium 4 vs. Athlon 64

I think we're forgetting its a £150 budget for the CPU, Motherboard and 512Megs of RAM. AMD64s are only in the possibility in low range, low ranges which are equalling to a Celeron D with more price because of the 64-bit and other features not required for a budget PC of such budget. The Celeron D offers a middle way, more powerful than the cheaper Sempron, cheaper than the more powerful Athlon.

Yeah i've seen in the benchmarks that the celeron d beats my cpu in vid editin and stuff, that really shocked me!!

OK. I only picked up the £150 and indirectly thought it was for the CPU alone. If that's the case, go for the Celeron D, but in saying that, the Motherboard will be more expensive. Well, it's best if he just prices up seperate builds. I reckon www.ebuyer.com is the cheapest on average in the UK anyway.

Hmmm... Motherboard for the Celeron shouldn't be too hard to find.

At the moment not including the RAM it works out to at least £92 (here and here) its not a DDR400 Motherboard, only DDR333 but there are higher models and you have more than enough left for the RAM and probably the next Motherboard Model up, or get DDR333 and spend the rest on something else. That's what I'd do at least.

There's a place called 'Micro Direct' near where i live, and they have a boxed Sempron with fan and 3-year warranty for £34.

There's a shop right near it which offers me an nForce2 motherboard for £40. Does anyone think that this should be enough, or do i need to find out more about the specifications of the MB?

Then that shud be fine, the nforce 2 mobo and sempron will make the perfect combination!!! The socket 754 sempron is 2600+ and higher!!

higher what? Anyways, yeah, i think i'll go with that, cause i can always overclock it, right? I heard that nForce2s are good for overclocking. That'll leave me with the RAM and a DVD-Rewriter. Should i go for 512MB DDR400, 2 sticks of 256 or DDR333?

Back
Top Bottom