Huge Problem!!!

cantona

Daemon Poster
Okay here goes nothing...

Well, I downloaded a program that hoaxes itself as a virus to test my Trend Macro (virus software). Trend passed the test and was deleting a fake spyware. Trend said that I should check if it was necessary to delete this but since I knew it was a fake I went forward and deleted it.

I then decided to go into the trend help centre and then heaps of messages came up saying I needed to debug but I couldn't because I had no program to complete the action and so I had to restart.

When I restarted a message came up something like a dll file in system32 folder has failed and I need to reinstall this. I would press any button and my computer would just restart without going any further then the message.

Without any choice, because I couldn't actually get into my computer, I had to insert my Win xp (sp2) cd and reinstalled xp.

Now everything works fine except my programs on my Hard Drive no longer work. Most say file missing reinstall.

Also in the icon add/remove program no programs are actually listed even though there all there in programs on C drive

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssssse! help!

System specs

Win Xp (sp2)
120GB
512MB HARD DRIVE
AMD ATHLON 64 3200+
Nforce3 Neo Platinum
GeForce 6600 Gt (128mb)

Did you install over it or repair it? If you installed, it probably redid your registery and it doesn't know where to locate half the files. I'm not sure if you could do much unless you have a backup of it... That's my take on it, at least... I hope you don't plan to "test" your virus software anymore ;P

Hi,

It seems to me that virus was a real virus, as after you downloaded it things started going wrong.

In a way, for the antivirus to test something for a virus, it has to be in its databank, and so you must have downloaded a real virus for it to detect it...surely.

*KaGe*

Back
Top Bottom