Which is better?

killhannah

Solid State Member
is a P4 3.0 GHz better or a AMD 3000+ that is 2.0 GHz, i figure it is the P4 but my friend says that an AMD 3000+ is better, i just think he is AMD crazy though

I reckon you will be talking about the older P4's, like the 5xx series. Yip, your friends correct, the Athlon 64 would be the better option.

(The 6xx series of P4 is debateable though, even so, quite little in it and the AMD is cheaper)

Simply the way they work. One main reason is what both CPU's have to go through to get somthing done. The P4 has a 21 stage pipeline (or 29 if it's the Prescot CPU) while the athlon 64 is only 9 or 11 depending on the instruction. This makes it quicker for the Athlon to get the instruction through the CPU than the P4.

Before I say anymore, is this an Athlon 64 or Athlon XP he has?

If its Athlon XP yours will be a considerable amount faster. If its a 64 yours will be as fast, sometimes faster.

If you're talking about games the same really applies except that yours will not be as fast as a 64.

H e is asking why it works out like 2Ghz and P4 has 3Ghz, anyway they are just diffrent from others P4 is a diffrent companey from AMD so they will not have the same Ghz .

I have got a AMD 64Bit 3000+ its over clocked, Gian has a Amd 64bit 3000+ he will tel you how good they are and how smooth they run.

I can tell you how dreadfully an AMD64 3200+ works, at least for what I do which is basically Video Encoding; DVD Encoding, Music Encoding, Programming with Tools like Visual Studio 2005, Downloading, and indeed to a certain extent Games. On things like Visual Studio 2005 I get the same performance I do from my 1.4Ghz Intel when I use that for programming downstairs. Encoding of course is better than that but not by as much as you would expect. In all simpleness the machines in Processing Power, for me are not noticably worse nor noticably better. Of course when you go into games there is significant improvement but while I'm sure the Processor has something to do with it I'd expect the High-End 5200 in my new one and the nVidia 3 Series Low End Card, whatever the number makes the most difference.

In all; given the ability to swap this for a Intel HT 3.2Ghz with EM64T I would, but there are more bits involved than just swapping the processor and I am a busy person. If I get the money; I will.

Nah. The AMD 3000+ may run at 2.0GHz but a) it has a shorter pipeline, which means it can flush it out and start again easier. This helps in all unpredictable tasks, like gaming for instantance. This is a draw-back though in predictable things like encoding, so like Lord Kalthorn says the Intel with it's longer pipeline will be faster, b) it does more tasks than the Intel per instructions, so basically it uses it's speed much better.

The 3000+ will give out less heat, therefore a quieter heatsink can be used, and uses less power, meaning you save electricity and money when buying a power supply. If you are looking at the new 6-series for the P4s, they are exactly the same as the 5-series just with 64-bit capabilities. Anyway, programs and operating systems won't be all 64-bit for quite a while, so 64-bit is just a pretty number at the end.

So personally I think a quieter, more energy efficent, better at gaming and hugely overclockerbly (especially if you wait until the Revision-E/Venice cores come out which will be even better than the Winchesters at this) and cheaper AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with a Venice/Winchester core would be a much smarter buy.

But then again, I am AMD mad!

Back
Top Bottom