Registry Editor questions and registry stuff...

You're only backing up your personal files (ie, pictures, music, and any imprtant documents you have been working on). Don't back up your programs or other software. Chances are, you have bits and pieces of corrupt files, lost shortcuts, left over by programs that needs to be cleaned out. A reformat of the hard drive will wipe everything clean. Then you reinstall your OS and programs that you use often. You now have a clean hard drive with no errors anymore until you start installing more software and removing them. Sometime, the Norton cleaner makes a big mess when you least expect it by trying to match shortcuts to other program files causing errors.

OK thanks, that cleared a lot up. But still, is it OK to back up SOME programs? I mean there are some I can live without, or at least download again like ad-aware, AIM, etc. but what about stuff like counterstrike, half-life 2, steam in general? I wouldn't wanna install that stuff over again cuz then I'd have to start HL2 all over and setup a bunch of things and just I dunno, but I wouldn't wanna do all that. And what about drivers or certain software that came with my mobo and other components, do I just erase all that too and then re-install all of it from the discs that I have? Sorry for so much questions, but if I do this I really wanna make sure I do it right. Thanks again.

EDIT: One more big thing I forgot to mention. How would I get my network settings back??? I just thought of it like an hour ago, I mean, if I'm getting rid of everything, then that would include my network settings, network password, all that stuff, which I know nothing of since one of the guys from my cable service came to install. I mean maybe I could figure out most of the information, but definitely not the network key or password or whatever it's called. So how on earth would I get all that setup?

you should try Registry Mechanic, you can find it at www.pctools.com i have used it and it has fixed many problems. It is only a trial so you can either buy it, or find a registation key on the internet, which i dont incourage. ur choice, watever floats ur boat

Most likely you will not have to configure any network settings to get internet backup. If you have broadband, Windows will detect your modem and everything is ready. If it doesn't detect it, just call up the cable company again and they will tell you over the phone how to configure it. For me, all I have to do is go into the Tools menu, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and go into the Proxy Server and enter their address and port number initially. After that, everything is set back to automatic detections and things will be as they're suppose to be before the reformat. Maybe you can write what you have down before you reformat or call customer service for the walkthrough. They'll be glad to help you to get the internet running again.

Motherboard resources you can reinstall using the CD that comes with it. I hope you still have those. If you downloaded programs from p2p, then of course, get those backed up. Use your DVD burner to get all those downloaded music, programs, etc onto the DVD disc at one time. If you have the original retail CD of the game or whatever program you use, just use that to reinstall everything back. No need to backup the programs from the hard drive if you have the original CD. As far as backing up your settings from games, I have no clue. YOu'll have to know where to look for in the directory where your saved game files are stored. It's got to be in there somewhere. I just start over and play again from the beginning. Pathces, driver updates will have to be downloaded again or if you can back those up (from previous download-.exe file) that would be great. Since you have cable internet (?), downloading Windows Update and other drivers will be a breeze and be up and running in no time.

If you haven't so already, order a CD from Microsoft that has all the Windows Update including the SP1 and SP2. That way, you'll have minimal things to download. They are free. After reformatting and reinstall, your PC will be fast and good for another year. I usually "spring clean" my PC once a year and do a reformat and repartition.

Well that all doesn't sound too bad, except for the network part. If for some reason the network settings don't come back (I'm on a wireless cable connetion BTW) then I really don't want to call Time Warner since their customer service is awful. Everytime I call themabout something which I have done a few times, I end up being on the phone with them for like 2 hours and most of the time they don't know what they're talking about. So basically, if reformatting means losing all my network settings and all the stuff related, then I think I'll have to pass...

Here is a thought, while your reformatting your computer, call time warner and tell them you reformetted your computer because of errors and they will be like duh, and wont hassle you with questions. Btw reformatting your hdd is probualy your best bet to get rid of the errors, getting the programs after you have the errors is senseless in my opinion, get them before you have the erros, know what your downloading. Keep track, for your user error, is why you are getting the ERRORs so please, do yourself a favor, put the Widnows disc in or what ever you are useing, reformat your comptuer, and well that should be it. It takes the Corrupt files off and replaces them with fresh none disturbed files. Thats why you do it. Time Warner can kiss your ass, make sure they know that, your a customer and be pissy, if your not they will think your a push over, if they dont have you fixed, get a new provider.

Still, it's really annoying having to talk to them cuz number one they think you know nothing about computers and two, the calls take forever since they have u on hold for like the whole day. I know reformatting could be my best bet, but I just don't wanna do it if it means I'm gonna lose my network settings. Plus there is still the chance it could be hardware, well actually I'm almost 100% sure that part of it is software, drivers, or whatever, but I think it's also from hardware issues since I got a hardware error in prime95 and just some of the things that have been happening seem to relate to hardware issues. I dunno, I'll have to think about it I guess cuz I really want my comp to be normal again, but I fucking hate dealing with Time Warner.

EDIT: I just had a random restart and when I did the microsoft error report, it came back with a hardware failure. It said something like the CPU reported a hardware failure or something like that which is even more evidence that part of this issue is a hardware problem.

EDIT: I just had a random restart and when I did the microsoft error report, it came back with a hardware failure. It said something like the CPU reported a hardware failure or something like that which is even more evidence that part of this issue is a hardware problem.

Yea. I used to have that problem when trying to run a game. I forgot what it was. Well, never happneed to me again. Its like a blue screen right? Well, I have no clue why it happened to me but luckily it only happened once.

Back
Top Bottom