linux, and desktop

As much as I hate Windows, to be fair, Windows XP did provide you with a choice of how your GUI looks, the first OS to do that.

GNOME does too as does KDE. I have both GNOME and KDE. I would reccomend using GNOME because of the very reason you mentioned: It is so easy to customize.

Good point i forgot about that, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that windows operating systems are full of security loopholes, makes the user spend half their time waiting for the computer to reboot everytime you want to install something and get the user into lazy habits, which result in doing things the long way

Windows does get the user into certain bad habits that are fine if the user continues to use Windows for the rest of his life. But he's gonna be in trouble once he has to use OSes like Solaris, Unix and the like.

Well... I was thinking of using KDE for a desktop only because its the only one ive used (Ive experemented with Knoppix and i only know the basics)

I would suggest either Xandros 3.0 OCE or Yoper 2.1 for the beginner. Xandros has the easiest user interface I've seen as well as the most seamless windows networking.

Yoper is almost as easy and really screams. Yoper is configured to take advantage of the i686 architecture and has custom compiled packages for nearly everything. It's one of the fastes distro's out there.

both of them use KDE as a default WM, but it's quite simple to swich to gnome if that's what you prefer or even a more lightweight one such as xfce- well at least in Yoper, I've never tried in Xandros, but with how the OS works, it would seem to be a bad idea in that case.

The great thing about both of them is that they are debian based, giving the user the power of apt to install packages without having to worry about dependencies.

Mandrake is ok for the beginner (though I can't stand it personally), with the redhat package system, but if you want to install beyond the basic system you'll be pulling your hair out on rpmsearch for hours trying to meet the dependencies of each program.

I say, just use Debian! It has everything you would ever want (more or less). And the installation program is amazing!

Amazing? Which version of Debian are you using? Debian's installation program is hell as far as i've heard.

I am using the newest one. When I installed it in December it was pretty bad. Then, 3 months later, it dis in a second what took me and a friend of mine over an hour... currently it is quite good!

Back
Top Bottom