Internet connection re-routed?

bcakin21

Beta member
Hi. My OS is Windows ME and for some reason I can't connect to the internet. I only get a page displaying that there's a problem with the server but this isn't so. A second computer in our house uses the same connection and it's working fine.
In the status bar when I first log on, instead of saying e.g. - connecting to http://www.google.com/ it says res://C:\Windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.google.com/. Does this mean that the internet connection got re-routed somehow? And how do you go about fixing this? Thanks!

It just sounds like some networking stuff isn't being set up right... Did it used to work? How are you connecting? dialup? Broadband? give us some details to work with...

That means that your IP address, MAC address or router settings have changed and your PC is not recognized.
What I'd do is close both PC, the router, power down the broadband ! modem wait a minute and then power everything back ON.
Should work but since there are not enough info. GIve more input if this isn't your case.

Thanks, okay I'll try and provide as much info as possible: I connect to the internet through a LAN (cable modem) and re-booting the computer and turning the modem off didn't do anything.
I realized this problem occured when I installed some anti-spyware program to delete malicious files but have since already uninstalled the anti-spyware program before realizing there was a problem connecting to the internet. How do I go about fixing this?

zero4zero, MAC address's don't change, or they shouldn't o_O They are kinda hardwired into the NIC!

Before I get into tons of detail, are you using a router, or are you sharing the connection from the other computer? I think your network settings just got corrupt somehow and you should just reenter them or reinstall your network drivers/protocols, etc...

Well, The_Other_One, [I do not mean the MAC address on the ethernet device which is permanent]if the mac address in not cloned in the router, and if the router is resetted, or you lose your internet signal from your ISP, the router network will not work.
bcakin, I'd try downloading the Microsoft Antispyware beta a try. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx but from what you mention I don't think that would have been the cause unless they would have changed your firewall settings! Sometimes uninstalling a program deletes some files required. Have you tried a system restore?

The computer with the problem (OS: Windows ME) is using a router. The second computer (OS: Windows XP) which is working fine is connected to the first using a Microsoft Broadband Networking Wireless USB Adapter. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem because this happened only after using anti-spyware software. But the other funny thing is that the system restore isn't working either, it just doesn't load.

Not hardware, but that other computer is the access point AP, and it controls the router, which controls your internet connection. So whoever programmed the router should check the configuration for you because it is definitively a router related problem.

I'll try to provide more info:

(For the computer that's not working)
IP Configuration:
LINKSYS Etherfast 10/100 USB Network Adapter
Adapter Address: 00-E0-98-8B-96-02
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

(For the second computer which is working)
IP Configuration:
Physical Address: 00-50-F2-75-B9-23
Address Type: Assigned by DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DCHP Server: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 24.153.22.195

I hope this info is useful. Please let me know if I can provide more.

Back
Top Bottom