What's the difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit program?

Windex1

In Runtime
I've been reading some PC Modding magazines and notice that there are things coming out called 64-bit programs.. My textbook is a few years old so it may not have anything about 64-bit programs. What's the difference?

but the difference. like 16-bit is single threading asking one process at a time. 32-bit is multiprocessing. what is 64?

64-bit is multiprocessing too, just more room for expansion.

"By using 32 bits your processor can represent numbers from 0 to 4,294,967,295 while a 64-bit machine can represent numbers from 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. Obviously this means your computer can do math with larger numbers, and be more efficient with smaller numbers"

so basically i can punch more numbers in calc.exe

x-P

expansion for what?

Ok, it's smarter and can handle higher and more intense applications that need to process more information. but the programs that aren't as intense, it can simply do them.

something like that?

how is the threading different? 32-bit is protected

is 64-bit bodyguarded?

yes. The largest benefit will be seen in private companies or research developement of some type, where large calculations are being performed, huge databases are being accessed, and complex problems are being solved. More information can be processed at one time.

On our end, we can also see benefits too once the 64-bit programming comes out and we can get a decent OS to run it on. More information can be processed at one time.

Windex, its' just a PC evolution by the manufacturers to make a bit!!!! more money. Faster but certainly not free!

When will 64-bit processors be the standard equipment for most computers? I almost bought a notebook with an AMD64 CPU, thinking it would be future ready, but I realized that everything else on the computer would get outdated before a 64-bit CPU was necessary. So, I bought a new Dell laptop. I hope that wasn't a mistake...

Back
Top Bottom