Where's My Temperature Monitor?

Hmm... Is it worth really trying to apply some Arctic Silver 5 grease? I have some... So I wouldn't have to go buy any. I don't know what kind of other processes it could be doing while idling. I don't even have a desktop background; it's just black.

Well, I don't have 200 bucks just sitting around, so that's not possible for me... Ugh... This temperature thing is causing so many problems.

As long as it is working fine, it's ok. If it goes out prematurely, send it back for warranty. I thought Gigabyte said it was ok to have the temp that high though. If that card last you a few years, that's great. I'm sure there will be better cards out by then that will interest you. I'm sure you'll upgrade before then though.

If your card last as long as the time you start upgrading, you haven't wasted your money.

Yeah, I agree. By the way, what exactly do artifacts look like? One time, when I was playing Far Cry for a very long time (I was determined to beat this one annoying part and it took me about two and a half hours) and noticed, only TWICE though, about 5 mm think horizontal white lines that flashed on the screen at random places. I'd say that the first one was after about an hour of play, and the next one was probably about an hour later. Nothing happened other than that. However, it could have been Norton popping up and a window breaking through the screen, because when I closed Far Cry, Norton was system scanning (I wondered why my FPS had dropped a bit in the last half hour...:D).

When Norton scans your PC, it usually uses up quite a bit of resources. That's probably the main reason why you see those filckers and performance slow down. Once the scan is done, everything should be at full throttle again. Mine does the same thing depending what games I play.

Okay, that's good. Very good indeed. :D I will keep an eye on it though, just to be sure. I don't see any overclocking in my future though with this card, but that's okay... Just to make sure though, when is it time to shut the computer down because of GPU heating? When I'm playing a game, what symptoms would I notice that would "tell" me that it's time to shut my computer down? Thanks a bunch man, you've helped me out so much in this forum! :D

-Jamxx

Well, I think the core threshold slowdown (nvidia utility) will remind you if it's exceeding the temp limit by flashing something on the screen (although I have yet to see this happen--but I'm guessing it will remind you somehow). I ran my PC for two weeks straight without shutting down and I never saw the temp of my GPU spike, only when I am playing games or running some applications. If it does get really hot for no apparent reason, it is failing. I would'nt bother with it anymore. Especially with all the headache of worrying that the GPU has heating problems (which I don't think you do-- a bit on the high side, but nothing to worry about. It's well within tolerable range).

If it starts to malfunction, your screen will freeze, perhaps even smell something burning coming from within the PC, most likely you will get no picture either. You may see error message pop up in regards to your video card. When that happens, check the temp again to see where it's at and go from there. Once the card overheats for a period of time, it will eventually fry the circuitry.

Okay, so it isn't like one of those "it can only happen once" situations. That's good to know. I have the NVIDIA temperature settings to tell me when it exceeds the threshold, but I don't think it will. I just played Halo for about an hour and when I minimized it (I had the temperature thing pulled up running in the background), it said 81 degrees Celcius, which means it was probably running at about 85-87 degrees Celcius... That's okay. Well, that solves that, and thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom