enough future proofing?

never_eof

Beta member
hi all

my current PC is now coming up for 5 years old. although it was high end when i bought it it's now lower spec'd than the lowest of the low ends! i'm based in uk and am thinking about buying this from mesh computers:

Elite A8

Intel Pentium 4- 550+ HT (3.4GHz Prescott) Processor
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
ASUS P5GDC Deluxe PCI Express Mainboard
1024MB DDR 400 RAM (PC3200) Memory
300GB Serial ATA (150Mb/s) Ultra Fast HDD
128MB nVIDIA GeForce 6600 PCI Express
19" TFT Flat Panel LCD Monitor
SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW (R/W all standard formats)*
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Audio
Creative Inspire P5800 - 5.1 Surround Speakers
Internet Ready V.92 56Kbps data/fax/voice modem
Network Ready integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Optical Mouse
FREE Microsoft Works 8.0
3 Year Parts & Labour Warranty (Back to Base)
Black Mini Tower Case/4 USBs + Additional Features

i'm not a heavy gamer but would like to think that, should i go out and buy a resource hungry game now and again, the above PC will be able to cope, at least for the next 2 or 3 years. do you reckon i'm future proofed enough with the above spec of system?

one final thing, are there any major PC advances due to launch within the next few months that mean i should really hang fire until then i.e. is a PC of the above spec soon to become 'old technology' due to soon to be released new PC technologies?

any advice appreciated and your thoughts on the above system.

dave (uk)

Looks good. If you want future proofing, go AMD Athlon64. It is 64-bit which the next OS is going to be. All you would have to change is the mobo and processor.

thanks guys, Mesh offer this AMD equiv:

Matrix Vector Plus

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 3500+ Processor
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
ASUS A8N-E PCI Express 939 Mainboard
1024MB DDR 400 RAM (PC3200) Memory
300GB Serial ATA (150Mb/s) Ultra Fast HDD
128MB nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT - PCI Express
19" TFT Flat Panel LCD Monitor
SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW (R/W all standard formats)*
5.1 Surround Sound 6 Channel Audio
Creative Labs Inspire T7900 - 7.1 Surround Speakers
Internet Ready V.92 56Kbps data/fax/voice modem
Network Ready integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
FREE Microsoft Works 8.0
FREE Pinnacle Studio 9 SE Video Editing Software
3 Year Parts & Labour Warranty (Back to Base)

from what you're saying this might be the better option? it's an AMD i've just now ... but i won't tell you what speed!

I would go for a mobo with can support higher speed RAM. Those PC3200 400Mhz are already close to obsolete and if your mobo do not give you the possibility to change to faster RAM, well your already in the future!

Mobo's support almost any DDr memory. DDR2 isnt really mainstream yet and even if a mobo says PC3200, it supports higher and lower.

so is the mobo on the AMD mesh system i've listed a good enough one or not? when i read things like 'pc3200 400mhz are already close to obsolete' it kind of puts me off the system ... wouldn't want to buy an off the shelf to immediately start changes components :(

Back
Top Bottom