Linux vs windows?

It seems that is an issue that only affects the Suse packages. as that link says, the xine lib package is missing some codecs. That implies that the standard xine comes with those codecs. The legal problem probably comes from Suse being a commercial release.
They say there is no dvd player sold by anyone, which is true. All the dvd players I use are free. You should check out some package not suplied by suse to see if those will give you the required codecs.

Hi peoples

As for the Windows XP v Linux thing, it depends who's using it, and what it's going to do.

For a home desktop, I definatly would say Windows XP. All software in shops is written for it, it's much easier to use (Some may say not, but really, I moved from the Commodore to Win3.1 then to Win95 without a hitch, Linux still gives me a bit of bother). People also say that Linux is more secure than Windows, I don't know, from what I heard in group tests, Linux is the least secure with Apple PC's as being the most.

There is no point in Linux on the home desktop for all home PC's. People want to go out and buy a game or a piece of software, install it and let it run no problems - not needing to go through 3 or 4 bash commands (that could be differnet for every situation) for compiling and installing a peice of Open Source equivilent (Not that I say there's anything wrong with it, just certain things you can't get). Home user's want ease, a sleek consistant GUI and compatibility. No matter what you say, Windows wins hands down.
Also, as far as stability goes, yip, past MS OS's were dodgy (Especially WinME IMHO), but as far as I'm concerend, Windows XP is as stable as a rock.
As far as pricing goes, I can get WinXP Home and MCE2005 for £55 - not bad, about 5% of what some peoples systems cost on this forum (Also, some Linux Distributions charge more than this).

For servers and such likes though, Linux I would go for straight away. Once it's set up, there's nothing you need to do to it. Why go the MS way on this front when you have a FTP/HTTPS/POP/SMTP....etc for free or for very little - definatly a lot more fexibility.

If you were asking weather or not to got Linux or Windows on your own desktop, then give it a try and see if it does what you want it to do. My view on Linux for the desktop is just general view for the average computer user.

To sum up, Windows for the desktop, Linux for servers.
Well, thats my point of view anyway and please don't flame me for it.

Cheers

Chris

How do these idiots get away with compairing apples to linux. Do you mean mac os, which has nothing to do with the 'PC'. And i would prove linux at the top of the line along with bsd's, unix and last mac os's.

shager said:
If you want to see linux take over the windows desktop build a distro tunned to run games like doom and sell the game with the os.

Funny you should mention Doom. There is a Linux clone of Doom called PrBoom. It is actually pretty good. You can download it for free, and, of course, it's free (as in freedom) software!

a small note for the dvd part again... that can be fixed very simply by installing the package libdvdread3
and then running this command in the console as root
/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh

Back
Top Bottom