not enough power?

shouup

In Runtime
I have had an extra Asus A7V8X motherboard and athlon xp 1800+ processor sitting around for a while and have been wanting to build a another machine. My friend gave me an OLD HP case wich i have modified to work with my motherboard and what not. The power supply is only 120 watts in this case. When i boot up my monitor will not kick on at all. I swapped out video cards for the one in this computer im typing on right now and got the same results. The only thing i can think of is that the power supply is not giving the system enough power to get up and running. I dont have many funds available (that why im using this old case) and i want to make sure it is the power supply before i go wasting my money on another one. Do you think the power supply is not giving enough power or do you think im running into some other random problem? Thanks.

-Sean-

120 watts? Totally inadequate I would think. Even for that older Athlon XP 1800+.. I would strongly recommend for that machine at least 250 watts, if not 300. The power supply is most likely totally not giving enough power. 120 watts would probably work for a 500MHz machine or something. YOu can get a 250-300 watt power supply for not much at all...

Wow, don't think computers these days use a 120W power supply. I would double it. Get a 250 W power supply. It depends on what compnents you have in your system. If it's a power system, more would be better. If what you have now is mediocre, than a 250W is just fine.

i wouldnt buy that psu if i were you. I would invest more in a psu. A cheap psu may blow up and kill your whole system. Might as well spend a little more money and get a good one.

i would probably go with a 420 or 450 watt it would last you for a while and you can use it in something else when u upgrade

It's funny to read your signature and you ask if a 120 Watt power supply is adequate, thought you would have learned that to get some of those certificate!?

Back
Top Bottom