iso file (win xp pro x64)

The Prophet

In Runtime
Okay, so I downloaded the windows xp pro x64 from microsoft, and burned the iso to a disk.

But wait. Its still an ISO an does nothing when I click on it? What did I do wrong? I used Nero6 to do it btw.

ISO is a CD image file. Using nero, you should be able to just go file - open - then tell it all files. Select that file, and tell it to burn

Yeah, nvm I got it. But I need to partition my hd. When I bought the pc, Compaq made it have one partition, so now I need another. But, wouldn't that require me to format and make two partitions, after deleting the one I have?

Should I just buy an external hd and put it on there?

There are programs like Partitoin Magic that allow you to make multiple partitions without formatting, but I still don't feel comfortable using those.

An external HD might work, but I'd say go for an internal. You loose a good bit of performace with external drives, and it's cheaper to stay internal

How big is ur internal hard drive? I would say to do this, if you have the time and patience (and rememebr that xp64 is only beta). Backup your existing data, then format the drive and install the partitions you need for 2 OS's. I would say to have at least 3 separate patitions. 1 for each OS and 1 for your files. Then reinstall the OS you are using now (winxp pro or whatever) then install xp64. Microsoft recommends you install the OS's in order of release so that older files dont get rewritten by newer files. And like that you'll have a 3rd drive where you can always store ur files in case u need to reinstall an OS later on.

Back
Top Bottom