laptop hd split in half. help!

ethanemc505

Beta member
I have a zv5000z hp pavillion with the 64 bit technology so i thought i would install a 64 bit version of linux...i dont have a flopy drive to run a boot disk to partition for linux and winows...so i downloaded the "ultimate bootdisk" and burned it to a cd and i ran one of there partitioning programs and then windows didnt boot up...it came up with a screen that says "on track" or something like that...so i reformated using xp disk and now my hard drive is 31.4 gb. instead of the 60 gb...anyone have any idea how to fix it or why this happened. I already tried defragmenting and i updated th bios which got it to 31.4 from 29.3. dunno.help!

LOL When I read the title, I thought that your Hard Drive literally split in half! :p Sorry, can't help you. :(

Why does everyone always think defraging will fix it. Hehe, I just find that a bit amusing.

Anyways, when installing windows, you should have the option of partitioning the drive. What did you do at this point?

If you don't wish to reload and just load linux(along with windows) I bet you still have an empty partition sitting there. Right Click on my computer, then manage. Go to Disk Management, and see what you have there. My guess is you'll ahve the extra space waiting to be used. You could set it up for NTFS, or perhaps save it for the Linux stuff. If you go the linux route, I can't help ya there...not enough experience with it yet...

You should use fdisk from microsoft and delete the partition and then reformat it....do that for both partitions.
Note: a disk split in two is a partitioned disk!

Just as a note...if you use Windows XP or 2000, using the partitioning/formating utility that comes with the setup would probably be better than fdisk.

I went to management and looked and it showed only one partition ntfs and 31.4 gb total..???? I dont want linux anymore...ill wait to buy windows xp 64 bit edition. i think i changed some settings with the sectors and blocks :) i love sectors...well any one have any idea...i reformated with fat 32 then nfst then fat 32 then finnally said screw it and formated using xp disk and installed xp home and now im here with a retarted hd. anyone have any idea.?????????????

Hehe, I thought that too Alvino. I was wondering what ethanemc505 was going to be asking... lol (Superglue please!)

I don't know what could be up with that, though it definetly seems like a partition to me... somehow... though you might not have one............. hmmm.............

Only other thing I can possibly think of is that when formatting to start with, it didn't complete. though this probably wouldn't make it work at all

*KaGe*

Download all updates?! Um, what difference will it make unless he's using a 120+ harddrive?

ethanemc505, try to get some other partitioning program. Maybe it'll show you what's left on the drive?

Me Too

I am IN SAME situation guys, I also installed Linux (Linspire distro) on a Dell D600 with a 60GB hard drive, and now ANY PROGRAM that I try, except Linspire shows it at 31.4gb. I am totaly lost. I do not not what else to try. I tried to do "cfdisk" in with Linspire, and it worked, BUT ONLY FOR LINSPIRE (ex Lindows). XP would not install in any version of compatible allocation sytems.

So if ANY of you know what to do PLEASE HELP. By the way SP2 wont help, just a waste of time. This notebook had SP1 running with 60 detected just fine, before all this mess.

Back
Top Bottom