Intel's 64-bit article brough to you by CNET and also a little SLI prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
That isnt a fact. Thats just you repeating it. WHY is it not 64-bit? Tell us exactly WHY it "isn't capable of full 64-bit computing". Thats all we're asking.

oh shit. Is there something you do not get? Why is it so difficult for you to understand? This CPU is capable of operating under some 64-bit operations, but it is still 32-bit.. it has a extended memory controller that is capable of reading 64-bit programs, but it isn't 64-bit itself.

Well, I'm still sticking to my view, but everyone is entitled to their own. There is more to the 6xx series than just the EM64 memory manager, unlike 5xxJ (that has just exactly that).

The Prescott core always had 64bit hardware built in it, is was just disabled when originally released. Credit due, the 5xxJ series can address memory in 64bit mode and not do much more, but the 6xx series can run fully AMD64_x86 code.

I don't get how it can do some 64bit operations and not all, programs are compiled to AMD64_x86 code or Ix86 code, one or the other, not a mixture of both. (I mean here that the program itself cannot be made up of two types of code, not that the CPU can't handle two different, 32bit and 64bit applications at the same time). An example of this would be the Windows XP 64 bit OS, I'm sure that most, if not all the 64bit intruction set would be used in it. This goes for the safotware that was used to benchmark the CPU's

As I said in my last post the 5xxJ series of CPU's have EM64 technology as well, but can't do 64bit code, the 6xx series however, can. Intel has not changed the name of the technology. I'm guessing the link you have posted Cobra was relavent to the 5xxJ series. Here's an updated one that is more relavent to the 6xx series and the latest Xeon and Celeron CPU's-

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/171850.htm?page=2

Just to clarify, although AMD's Athlon 64 is a completely different CPU design compared to previous CPU, the 64bit support can also be thought of as 64bit extensions just as in Intels 64bit extensions(take the integrated features of the "old" northbridge/southbridge design into the CPU itself as being the other major design difference for example). Just like AMD's, Intels can run 64bit floating point operations, address memory in 64bit etc, in legacy mode.

Another article-
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1736

I'm not falling back on my views. I know what is what and I'm sticking by that. Intel can stop lying about what it is marketing. I don't ever like that. It is like those people marketing diet pills.. that are just really sugar pills.

LMAO, this is better than than watching comedy on TV. I for one have decided not to argue with Giancarlo - quite frankly, very little point. We will see what happens when WinXP 64 goes full swing.

All the evidence is there to suggest and even prove that the 6xx series of P4 CPU's are indeed 64bit. However, people can think what they want.

PS, I was looking at some threads that were made before my time that included Jack and Giancarlo. Please try not to take this personally, but Gian, you were quite amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom