Sleepy PC won't wake up!

Maxx1

Solid State Member
First off, I know I'm new so don't rag on me for being ignorant. Computers aren't really my thing so I don't hang out on related forums.

Although a recent problem has me stumped and was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction.

I've done several searches, but came up empty, maybe because I'm not totally sure what the problem is and didn't word it correctly.

I have a Compaq Presario that has went into sleep mode and it won't wake up. I've shut it off and turned it back on several times. When it comes on, the monitor turns on for 3 seconds then goes into sleep mode and the computer is usless, nothing works.
Is there something I can do or is it just a paper weight now?

I've taken it to a repair place and they said it was the motherboard, but I have a gut feeling they didn't even look at it and just took my money and told me they couldn't fix it.

Sorry for being short, but if more detail is needed I'll gladly add. Hope someone can at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Usually this problem is caused by a bug in the motherboards BIOS. Give more details about the model number of your PC, and download the latest BIOS - hopefully they will have cured the problem by now.

The model is 7970 and I can't download anything on it. The only thing that works is the fan and the little green light that tells you it's on! LOL! :confused:

Well, I just had a look on the HP/Compaq website, and there are no BIOS's availble for download.

Do you mean that there is no computer activity at all, no HDD LED's lighting up or anything as in dead?

Did you try, unsucessfully, overclocking it? If not, what exactly happened the last time it worked ok?

Try removing the BIOS battery (or use the CMOS clear jumper), then replace it after about 5 mins, this'll clear the CMOS, just incase it causing the problems (such as an unsucessful overclock).

When you put the case back together, double check that the memory and video card are fully inserted into their proper slots.

There is some activity. The fan comes on and the left LED stays green and the right LED stays amber. The monitor tries to come on, the light goes green, but then turns amber and the monitor shuts down.
This is all that happens.

I did take the battery out, but didn't wait before reinstalling it. I'll try that again.

Although I've heard of it, I don't know what overclocking is. Sorry, I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to computers.

And I'm not sure how to reset memory. :confused:

I do appologies for being so ignorant guys, but I really do appreciate your help.

Also, I was told I can't just buy just any new motherboard. That I have to buy the specific board for this computer, which will cost about half of a new computer. You can buy twice the computer for half the money these days.

I'll take a look at things again and see if there's something I missed.

if it is in fact the motherboard. instead of buying the mobo from compaq (which is usually outragous prices) just buy a new ATX style and get a new case. even in canada they have cases with powersupply's for like $38.00, $50.00 taxes in and u can still buy a pop and a hamburger at wendy's

even in canada they have cases with powersupply's for like $38.00, $50.00 taxes in and u can still buy a pop and a hamburger at wendy's
I like that idea...ya think Wendy's has that in a combo meal? LOL! :p

Is that the problem with a different MoBo...it just won't fit in the stock case? There isn't a compatability problem with the other components?

Back
Top Bottom