Gigabyte 6600 GT Temperature Problems

Wait a second... My processor has a Newcastle core, actually, and it runs at about 32 degrees idle... That's not hot at all. Under load, it may hit 42 degrees. And it isn't a large overclock... Just a 10% increase from 2 GHz to 2.2 GHz.

And by the way, sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean here.

I know what it's like, but I think to make your nerves rest, I would put your CPU back to default core speed, then unplug some of your fans. Then play some games for a while. This will probably increase the temps of you GFX card without increasing the CPU temps by much (as it's back to default speeds).

I'm confused... Did I mention something about my CPU temperature? I don't recall that I did... But I may have. I'm a bit stressed out now with school, so I might do some crazy things... :D

What I ment was to get your card to run warmer so you feel more relaxed about it operating at normal temperatures.

To do this I would cut out some cooling, then play a game for a while. I suggested lowering the CPU clock to lower it's temps, but as it is so low anyway I wouldn't bother about it.

Haha... So you're trying to get me past an emotional block? :D I'm not that concerned about it man... I did e-mail Gigabyte about it just to make sure. But still, I've heard of this card being overclocked and running at the same or cooler temperatures than mine is. Just wondering though. You've got me more relaxed about it, though.

what version is your video card? I know from your specs, Gigabyte makes 2 different kind. One is the turboforce edition, the other one is not.

Probably the best way to get detail info on your temp isuue is to call directly to Gigabyte:

1-626-854-9338

You will get a definite answer that way.

If you like, I'll call them up and post what they say. It will have to be tomorrow because they are closed now. Just called them. I might as well call MSI and tell them about my temp issues too. I know the card you have so I'll just say it's mine and temp is idling around 58 degrees.

It's definitley getting close to summer weather. My CPU temp is up 4-5 degrees since my last post on temp readout. Still well within tolerable range of the Athlon 64. :)

Well, if you don't mind doing that, then go right ahead. :D I was wondering how your CPU had gone up that much until I looked at your location... That explained it. :D But hey, I'd love to live there. Right now I'm stuck in Alabama... The lowest of the low. :D (No offense other Alabama people... Just my take on it.)

Ok, I called them up and tech support said you will have no problems with the video card at all. I told him your specs on your PC and your video card at stock and he said that the graphics accelerator was designed for that temperature range up to 120 degrees Celsius. I was blown away by that because that is really, really hot. He kept insisting that it was designed to handle that type of temperature rating "due to the advanced acceleration of the graphics board chipset." It is typical for the 6600GT to be that hot and poses no future problems.

The same goes with my MSI 6600GT card. My temps range from 47 degrees Celsius idle to 82 degrees under full load as well. MSI said the same thing. "The 6600GT was designed to tolerate the heat dissipation due to the high end technology and integration of PCI-e of that particular board." quoted by MSI.

So knowing that, you have nothing to fear. Have fun with it and play lots of games. Yeah, hardcore...

What a relief! I'm very glad that it can withstand temperatures up to 120 degrees Celcius. That's unbelieviable! Isn't that around 250 degrees Fahrenheit? That's crazy! That makes me feel a lot better. Did they say anything about overclocking by any chance? I'm just curious... Don't call them back or anything.

I didn't mention overclocking it. I'm thinking if the graphics card can tolerate 120 degrees Celsius, overclocking would be no problem. The chipset was designed to be overclocked too as it comes with overclocking features (nvidia drivers). As long as you are aware of the temperature while overclocking, it should pose no threat. I wouldn't push it to the max though.

Back
Top Bottom