Dvd-r, Dvd+r

+ is prefromatted for data and - isnt.

I am not 100%, but DVD+R being rewritable doesn't sound right. They have dvd-+rw's. So why would they make DVD+R do the same thing?

-R and +R are just different formats. You have to check where you will be using these burned disks in. For instance, check your DVD player to see if it is compatible with +R and -R disks. Also, neitehr fo these are rewritable. They have DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks, these are rewrtiable. The reason that there are 2 types, + and -, is b/c the industry didnt come to an agreement on which is better and which should be used, similar to the VHS and Beta situation long ago. Now both are freely accepted and widely used.

from http://www.webopedia.com/
DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD-R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc.
A DVD+R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time.
DVD-RW as well as DVD+RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.
The only difference in the + and - or RAM depends if the manufacturer of your DVD player supports the format.
There are always things to learn and clarify.

My dad and I have been wondering about this... Thanks for clearing it up. What do you mean by "+ and - or RAM" though... I don't quite understand.

Back
Top Bottom