Old Computer Help Needed

what kind computer would that be that's ancient. not even Apple IIE man thats before my time

Yeah.

I wouldn't even know how to stard adding a hard drive into something that old, and anyway, i think those computers were built to run from floppy discs (those big floppy ones? hehe).

I'm sure you could still get hold of those discs somewhere... though they won't be made anymore, I'm pretty sure of that.

N yes you can get a pretty good PC for really cheap these days, even a 200mhz one like i used ot have would suit him for example if he's used to DOS. I'm sure you could get one of them for dust hehe.

Though, I'd expect him to have alot of data that would need backing up on that thing, though, I have no idea where he'd store it, unless he has more discs that are not startup boot discs? If so, there must be a way of making another one.

Anyone have any clues?

*KaGe*

You guys make me laugh! The computers back then only had DOS [Disk Operating System], so the 5½ floppy was for boot-up, just like Windows Me has a boot-up diskette in case something goes wrong. Note, back then most systems had two 5½" floppies, and some with up to 40 Meg hard disks and a tremendous amount of RAM (128k)! Windows didn't exist then, and I bet your father paid over 4 or 5 grand for that computer! unbelievable but true.
To solve the problem with the boot-up floppies means that they wear out, so I imagine the best way to solve the problem would be to insert a 3¼" floppy and copy the 5½" content on the 3¼" diskette. May not seem worth while for us, but for a person who's system works and speed is not a concern, why not continue with what he has.

We never said stop if you read. We pointed out why he was having a conflict and then people just offered suggestions incasehe wanted to use a slightly more uptodate sytem.

Well sometimes what a member writes in this forum in not necessarily true and others may be taking the advise for cash!

Back
Top Bottom