Can i over clock my computer??? Need help

aixchange

Solid State Member
I had purchased a dell about a year ago and got sick of the lousy performance so i started doing some upgrades. I now have 180 gb hard drive space with 30 gb slave drive, 768 MB of ddr ram, ATI Radeon video card and an Audigy Sound Blaster audio card in a Cobra R type case. I have 2 cd rom drives, floppy and 5 fans. I have a 1.80 ghrz Intel Pentium 4 processor. I dont really have the cash right now to upgrade my motherboard and processor so i wanted to know if i can up my clock speed. I dont know a real lot about computer but i know somewhat. I dont wanna do this and crash my computer and fry my processor so someone please give me instructions on how to do it safely or your opinion on if i should even do it at all. I am running windows xp professional if that needs to be known. I hope i have provided enough information so you can answer my question. If not please tell me what you need to know. Thanks everyone who replies i dont wanna see 1400 dollars go down the drain lol. Thanks again

Sorry mate, but DELL's own brand BIOS's dont allow overclocking. I'm guessing that the Pentium 4 that you are using is the original 1.8GHz Willimate core, or perhaps a early Northwood, you'll be running at a 400MHz bus and unfortunatly these are the slowest of the pentium 4's.

If you are lucky, your motherboard might support a 533MHz FSB P4, so check up on Dells website and check the maximum FSB. You might need to update the BIOS if it does. Then, my advice is to get a 533MHz Pentium 4 with a prescott core, coz these are faster than the 533MHz Northwood core (unlike the 800MHz variants, due to the Hyperthreading).

This is only if your lucky though, personally if you could afford it, get a new case and PSU, get shot of your Motherboard and CPU, and get a cheap NF2 400 chipset motherboard, and a Barton 2500+ athlon CPU. If you could afford a bit better, go for an Athlon64 or P4 6xx series setup (dependant on wether you go for AMD or Intel)

Oh, quick question. If you just purchased this machine about a year ago, are you sure that it is a 1.8GHz Pentium 4 and not a Celeron?

Thanx man

Yea yea know what im glad i cant clock it becuase i just put over a grand into hardware and everything is new but the mother board and processor so why stop now. I just ordered a 64 bit athalon from new egg. God i love that site. Thanks for the reply though.

Ordinarily when you want to upgrade your system you should invest in a mobo/CPU first; then matching RAM, videocard, hard drive......not the inverse.

Back
Top Bottom