can't even plug in my monitor?

novauniao96

Baseband Member
I'm ready to see if my system will fire up and then I try to plug in my monitor, but I don't see anywhere for the connection from the monitor to plug into the motherboard, so I read some stuff and looks like monitor is supposed to insert into the vid card

But the connector from the monitor doesn't fit there either, after some research I learned there is two types of connectors VGA and DVi, I know my vid card is DVi so I'm guessing the monitor must be VGA, that's why it won't fit.

Now my question is, is there some adapter that will let VGA connect to DVI, or do I just need to take back my monitor, and get another one

yes...look around probably any computer store to find such converters. Or you can get a new monitor...DVI is suppose to be higher quality.

I though that all video cards came with both...

Did the video card come with any extra cables that might be a convertor?

DVI is only for digital connections, for example Flat screen monitors are DVi, or atleast I think all. Standard tube monitors like CRT (Cathode Ray Tubes) are analogue screens, and so work with VGA. Maybe some CRT's are digital though, I have no idea really hehe.

DVI monitors are actually falling in price now, and yes because it is digital, it's better quality.

Do you know what video card you have by any chance?

Hope this helps
*KaGe*

yea its this

Chaintech SL5700L GeForce FX5700 LE Low Profile AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI Retail

I just went to bestbuy and they told me pretty much what you said, I think I have to get a new card or replace my monitor, I really don't want to spend more for the monitor though

I'm a idiot I just found the connector, thanks for helping... all that running around, embarassing man

Hehe, NetLight, mine still uses VGA too... It's just being converted, trust me, it's not completely analog.

Kind of odd that VGA would be cheaper considering DVI is more digital. Seems there would be more conversion from analog/digital than digital/digital :p

Hi... okay hehe, so maybe I don't know much about monitors?... *luks around innocently*...

Glad you found it though! :)

Is DVI digital though? VGA analogue? So i got it half right... some flat screens might use VGA... *cough*

hehe
*KaGe*

Yeah, cheaper ones tend to use VGA... I thought DVI was digtial, but its odd how such a simple converter will make it VGA< so it must not be fully digital. I'll check the pinout somtime

True that actually... in a way, how could a digtal be converted since it's just 0's n 1's, same as the other way round... oh well hehe

*KaGe*

Back
Top Bottom