My old school computers

Masahiro

BSOD
I remember when I was about 4 they built a busniess and technology on the Bourgh road site in 1996.

Anyway, I came across this website saying about they had some computers installed there (Which I am sure they have upgraded but I have sited some old 1s on my site)

Dominic Miles is under no illusions that the pace of change in computing might affect even their conservative estimate that the new equipment should have a four or five year life: "We opted for Compaq PCs with Pentium 133 chips. Each machine comes configured with a 1.6Mb hard drive and the new 120Mb floppy. The server is a Compaq ProLiant and we have tens of gigabytes of disk space. Our software suite includes Microsoft Office 4.3, Publisher 2.0 and Corel Draw, so we have the most up to date versions of both hardware and software. Having said that, the curriculum syllabus I wrote for IT in July has already had to be modified twice in six months just to take into account new developments in technology!"

It would be funny if they still ran those PCs around school, but when I read it I realised how much things have changed in the PC industry even within a few years. They go on to brag about their isdn connction.

The link to the site is:
http://www.computacenter.com/case_studies/archive/government/paignton.asp

"Each machine comes configured with a 1.6Mb hard drive and the new 120Mb floppy"

Are you srue that is right? I never heard of a 120MB floppy and a 1.6MB hard-drive on Pentium 133 computers..

wow. taht is still pretty bad, whether true or not. we have like freakin portable 4,5 gigs hardrives. and then we have the exernal hard drives that go like up to 400 i think,. or is it 300? eitehr one that is still massively good.

NetLight said:
Nor have I, so they either got them mixed up or had a typo somewhere.

yeah i would think 120MB hard-drive and 1.6MB floppy drive (but 1.6MB doesn't exist hmm..)

My dad's old Toshiba laptop 486SX-50MHz had a 120MB hard-drive and a 1.4MB floppy drive. It had a monochrome screen.. that could go into color with the color monitor (had it connected to a 14" NEC monitor)... it only could display 16 colors (not even 256 colors which I at the time considered awesome lol).

Yea, in a few maths huts (the same old maths huts that were there when my mum went to school) and the lighting room at the top of the hall, you can find some rather yellow-looking compauq computers.

But it really is suprising how things have changed in my lifetime.

eww.. yeah that's what happens to plastic when it gets old.. I had a phone that was originally white and it turned bright yellow..

Hmmmm, now I know 2 ways of making a yellow snowman!!!

(PM me if you don't get that joke.... at your peril)

It will be a 120MB LS floppy drive - Use's optical as well as magnetic technology to hold the 120MB. I reckon the 1.6MB is ment to read 1.6GB.

Back
Top Bottom