Is this normal

Jamie_100

In Runtime
my cpu runs at around 20 degrees sometimes dropping to 15 and rising to 30. Is this normal? I have a P4 2.6ghz @ 3.0ghz.

The reason i ask is because my mate said its very low.

Woh... seems very low for an overclocked CPU, and would even be low for a unclocked CPU!!! Those temps can't be right...

You must be using some kind of water cooling like ZoomTm said, but I'd expect your mate to notice that and tell you then that it is normal.

It is possible though for the bios to be giving you a fake readout. All windows programs will read from this too.

*KaGe*

Have you checked your readings in your BIOS to see if they match?
Also these readings look like if the sensor is taking the ambient air temp a bit far from the CPU!.

Use everest to get temps and if you have a northwood core, it is going to stay farly low, not that low though

well i'm his 'mate' and no he doesn't have water cooling...just a stock heatsink and fan that came with it when he bought his old pentium comp...

Try updating the system BIOS, sometimes the BIOS is the cause for the dodgy readouts. But it should be nowhere near 15-20 on standard air cooling, I would expect it to be about 40 - 50 at least.

Jamie_100 said:
my cpu runs at around 20 degrees sometimes dropping to 15 and rising to 30. Is this normal? I have a P4 2.6ghz @ 3.0ghz.

The reason i ask is because my mate said its very low.
If you convert this to fahrenheit, it's only 68 degrees. No way you can get that air cooled unless it's 30F or less ambient at the air intake. Something's whacked in the bios or the program you're using to read the temps...

Back
Top Bottom