PCIe 16x or 8x?

d_source

Daemon Poster
So i was looking at my settings for my 6600GT, and what i mean is that i would right click on the desktop and go into properties and then into the settings tab and into my video card settings. On the page which shows all the info on my card it says that my 6600GT is PCIe and 8x...wtf is that all about? Is it not running at the right speed? I only have one card in there and SLI is not activated, so the single slot should be running at 16x not 8x.
In everest it says that my memory bandwith for my card is 16023, which is the correct speed, but the nvidia software tells me its 8x. When i run 3dMark03/05 and click on details it tells me that the card is sitting in slot pcie16_2, when the ASUS mobo says it should be sitting in PCIe16_1, but i looked insiode the box and it is sitting in the correct spot.
What the h3ll is going on man.

hey man,

I don't have much experience with PCIx, but just try changing which PCIx 16x slot it is in.

It's perhaps depends on the slot the GF6600GT sits in, as when they are used in SLI they both run at 8x. Meaning that mabey one is permamently 8x.

Anyway, not 100% sure, but this is what I would check out in the same problem.

All the best C.

I'll have a look at the jumpers when i get in, hopefully its somehting simple liek that.
I dont believ the card is in the wrong slot. When not in SLI mode, the card will only work in one slot, the other doesnt work and doesnt let u attach the monitor to the 2nd card. At least thats what i remmebner reading.
Thanks for the help.

Well there is that strange card that plugs into something like a pci slot thta needs to be in the correct way!!!

I checked out my mobo settings over the weekend. On this mobo their is a chip in b/w the 2 pcie slots (http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album) that states one card or 2 cards and tells u which side to place the card in. Anyways, that was backward b/c the single card goes in the blue slot and the 2nd card goes int he black slot...ONLY! Card can be damaged otherwise (as stated in the MSI handbook). I flipped that now my settings read 16x, no longer 8x. Thats a relief.

Good stuff d_source!!! I knew it wud b summat like that!!! MAybe others will learn from this!!

Back
Top Bottom