Best Linux for me

jack22

Fully Optimized
OK, im going to get Linux as it is safer and a better OS. I dont have great programming skills so i think i'd be best with a simplier one. I only me simple as in terms of scripts and stuff.

What would be the best simpilish Linux for me? I dont care if it costs me.

Also, i got 2 HD's, how do i dual boot? Is it worth it?

Mandrake 10 :p it's what I use. its quite simple, especially if you use the gnome destop, and as a plus it comes with firefox pre-instaled as it's webbrowser. also, be prepared for three 800mb or so downloads, and the files come in ISO format so you need a cd-burning program that can burn ISO images onto a cd, if you dont have one, I recomend deepburner, its free for the standard ver. just google it.
BTW mandrake 10 linux doesnt support many wireless cards at all, like maybe 30, so if your gonna use a wireless card, try something else, or buy a few hindred foot cat5's:p

which one has best compatibilty with windows things? like games? i heard linux isnt compatible with everything

Im a little hazy on the details, because I did this a long time ago, once you get the images burned to cd's, put the cd-1 in your drive and restart your computer, it should ask you if you want to boot from a cd, say yes, and boot from that cd, it will take you through the install process and sometime in the beginning of the linux install it will ask you how you want to install it, I.E. make a partition for itself(you determine the size) so it can install itself to that partition, or it will ask you id you want to wipe the entire disk clean of everything (complete format) and install linux fresh (this will take away anything you have on the drive).
im not quite shure, as i did this about a year and a half ago, so you may want to ask around CF about dual booting windows and linux.

Back
Top Bottom