Why isn't my slave HD showing up?

craigttu

Solid State Member
I'm having issues with an HD that I need to delete a file off of.

I set the jumper up a slave, hooked everything up, win xp found the device BUT I can't see the drive in 'my computer'.

I can no longer boot from this drive either, which is why I'm trying to set it up on another pc as a slave. The problem started when I downloaded windows xp from my college website so that I can put on another machine.

Please help!! I'll paypal someone some cash if they can help me fix this.

Thanks,

Craig

Hey,

This might be something to do with FAT32 and NTFS.

They are both two completly different ways to format a drive. NTFS can see FAT32 but not the other way round becoz NTFS is newer and more improved... this would be my only guess

Hope this helps
*KaGe*

I'm actually using a slightly older HD as my master HD w/ my 3 month old HD as the slave. Both HD's have XP on them. Does that help?

That wouldn't make a difference really... definetly doesn't matter how old the drives are.

Try disconnecting the one that doesn't work and putting it as the Master, and maybe disconnecting the new one compltly to test to see if it reads it and boots. If this works then its defintly the formatting of the drives

*KaGe*

Also, I can see the slave drive in 'device manager' and it says this it's working properly.

Right okay. I've heard about removable drives not showing in Windows Explorer actaully. There is a way of changing this to add mroe drive letters, but don't know how... read it on this forum somewhere and that would sort it.

Hope it works soon
*KaGe*

Back
Top Bottom