Temperature on your video card

So, what is the temperature rate that you should have with a 6600 GT? I get about 80C under stress, and that seems a lot higher than yours... Is that too hot? Don't worry, I've only had it that high once...

As of right this second, my GPU core is at 49 degrees Celsius and ambient temperature at 41 degrees Celsius. I guess that's the temp around the video card. Not much of a difference from before. However, under load is significantly less. I report at times 60 degrees to 70 degrees on rare instances. I use to get into the 80's, but not anymore. I don't know why temp fluctuate so much. I'm not doing anything right now except for Word and Internet. Oh, I have Bearshare running in the background.

Well, I'm not doing anything but on the web typing this, and mine is reading 62 degrees Celcius... Too high?

Seems a bit high for hardly doing anything. So all you have is the two system fans? I'm assuming your video card must have a fan on it already.

Yeah, it does. I have 2 fans... One blowing in on the side and one sucking it out in the back. I've already put 2 more 80mm fans on my to-get list from CompUSA when I'm out there... It's the closest store to me that has those kinds of things though I really hate that store. It's WAY too expensive! Note that I have my video card overclocked a bit, with a 500 MHz core clock speed and a 1050 MHz memory clock speed. I can always turn these down, but I thought that it would be interesting to see what happened. I wasn't reckless with it though, and constantly checked the radiance of heat coming from it... It was relatively hot, so I stopped playing Tribes: Vengeance... And then I began to post here. By the way, on my temperature threshold, it says that it is 145C... What is up with that? As setishock mentioned, that has to be bogus...

My threshold is set to 127 C. It will notify you should your video card exceed the threshold temperature, like a warning. I think the best way to cool our cards down is to get one of those PCI exhuast blower and install it right underneath our cards. That way, you don't have to mess with the stock cooling.

Okay, but do you think that 80 C would be okay? I can actually tell a difference in games when I increase the clock speeds, and quite a large one at that. I'm a frame-rate maniac... I'll get an exhaust blower if CompUSA has it, or I'll order one from Newegg if they don't. Thanks for your help! And now I'm going to go eat some pizza, and I'll check back after I'm done.

Mmm... Pizza! :D

I ran on 80 degrees for awhile and ran into no problems. It's not like you're running that hot all the time, only when playing games. I got my exhaust blower from CompUSA too and it's great. You'll definitely see a drop in temperature, guaranteed. Just put it right under the video card where the heat is blowing out.

Okay, thanks man. That helps a lot. I'll plan a trip out there as soon as I can to get that.

Oh, and by the way, how loud is the exhaust blower that you got? Also, what kind do you have? You said that it's great, so if it works well I might get the same kind...

Thanks!

SInce it's from CompUSA, it's a Mad Dog brand. I don't have the original package anymore so I can't give you any detail specs as far as fam speed and CFM, but it's pretty quiet. It will not add any more noise to your PC. When it's on, you can feel the warm air coming out so you know it's doing a good job. Helps a whole lot. I recommend this to all PC users.

Back
Top Bottom