knoppix

jay8990

Daemon Poster
so iv heard a lot about linux but never actually used it myself! so i got hold of knoppix, mostly cause it can be booted straight from cd with no need to install or that.

and im trying it out but i cant connect to net. my broadband modem plugs into usb port on back, how i tell the os this!?

its got one that the phone line is plugged into and then just a cable coming out which plugs into usb port. so it has two cables coming out it but only the phone in one is removable

jay, I have knoppix too and my ISDN wont connect to the net either, I've tried for weeks with no joy.. apparently not many devices are supported by its auto-detection feature (mine isn't in the custom config. menu when you try and set up your own either). Its kinda sucky that it doesn't, because its a really good OS. I'm liking it more everyday. May even install onto my old hard drive, but then I suppose Red Hat or Mandrake would be more popular versions to actually install incase of future problems needing support. But as a live CD OS its pure compressed genius.

I have knoppix std and it is really good. It runs totally on ram and is very good for different system checkup etc. I would recommend it. You can download it off the net and then burn it onto a cd and us it as a back up OS for windows. Just a thought...

I pretty sure that is exactly what he's done, except he, like me, wants to learn how to use it all properly and to follow tutorials or the like you need a connection to work :) (i copied the contents of linux.org's tutorial to word docs and changed the hyperlinks to other files and so i run it off my HDD when im in linux, which is easier to do, but takes time setting up.

thecoolkid said:
It runs totally on ram
It doesn't only run on RAM. It creates a mounted partition of free space of your HD so you can save your work. I can't remember the exact mount point though. It is something like "/mnt/hda/knpx" or close to it.

It creates a mounted partition of free space of your HD so you can save your work. I can't remember the exact mount point though. It is something like "/mnt/hda/knpx" or close to it.

If you check on the website Knoppix STD it talks about how it only stays in the ram so it does no permanent damage to the hard drive. Thus it will not effect any files that might be in trouble or if you get hacked you can look into the computer without messing with any of the files.

thecoolkidontheblock

This is funny thread, i was talking about this a while back when i had knoppix on a live cd.

Get the linux version of your device driver off of the internet or the cd that came with your device. If you don't know the name of your device, now is a good time to learn how to use device manager.

Back
Top Bottom