my computer is running slow lately

yoyo920

BSOD
i looked on my processes and i found some taht were taking alot of cpu or memory usage.

CCAP.exe 15,524k
svchost.exe 19,352k
explorer.exe 19,776k
~ lol msn
msnmsgr.exe 22,756k
maxthon.exe ........ which is my IE 22,596k
gcasdtserv.exe 12,860k

i dunno why my pc is running slow nowadays.!!

i defragged a few days b4 and its getting slow

pls help guys

~edit
my specs are average
2.80ghz and 512 mb ram

well i had this same problem on my old computer it just seems really slow don't it there are several things you should do they are

defrag
scan for viruses/spyware/adware and all that stuff
run a disk check on your main drives
delete old folders and files
programs that do not need to be running all the time like msn shut theem down (from the system tray)

those are the simple things after this there are more complicated things to do for example changing the way your computer works

go to my computer right click it and choose properties then click on the advanced tab click performance settings, on the visual effects tab the less boxes that are checked the faster your computer will run these ar just little thing which make the interface look nicer i suggest un ticking all of them apart from

smooth edges of screen fonts
use common tasks in folders
used drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop
use visual styles on windows and buttons

next click on the advanced tab at the bottom it should say virtual memory click change this will enable you to set up your page file usage. your paging file is an amount of memory you set aside on you computer to use like ram simply set it to a high level and you will virtually give yourself more ram

all of these things will speed up your computer if you a google search on speeding up your computer then you will get many sites with tips oh and another thing there is a program called powertoys created by microsoft which effecttively allows you to mess about with the prgramming of xp and hense make it faster

but the ting is that it wasnt slow b4 its only recently when i go online and listen to music its slow.

Well what i think but don't call me correct what V2K6.2 said bout settin ur virtual memory to high level will not help ur speed at all. u should leave that at default. possible spyware i suggest u go to www.lavasoft.com...download their free adaware which gets rid of ur cookies......
then right click on ur computer,go to properties,then advanced tab, click on performance, then check "choose for best performance.....also what i do is right click on taskbar,properties, start menu, then check on classic view, cuz the fluffy xp taskbar can take up ram......or maybe u should just order a stick of ram..not that expensive....but who knows i'm just a body....when u go to listen 2 music it will be little slow cuz ur streamin video

How full is your hard drive? Yeah and make sure you download ad-aware SE becasue its great. Make sure you delete all you temp internet files and empty your recycle bin. It might be your computer is getting to clogged up, or you have spyware... (try "spybot" as well) If your computer has to much rubbish hanging about in it buy something McAafee quick clean to sort it out....

Back
Top Bottom