Linux vs windows?

I would say alot of it depends on the user. Linux is an awesome OS and beats out Winblows (Ummmm... Sorry Windows) anyday in most if not all aspects. Mainly security and stability. However, at the current point in time, Linux is not for the average user. It takes a knowledgeable computer person to operate and "get around" in a Linux OS.

Judging from your last post, I would stay with Windows for know until a better GUI Desktop for Linux comes out, which will probably happen in the next couple years.

I would not say so. Some distros are not for newbies, but plenty are. It really depends what you want to do. But I understand what you mean.

I don't feel that way. I feel that a person who needs his/her computer for basic uses like internet, email, work can use GNu/Linux perfectly. The ones who will run into problems are the intermediate users who are into gaming and stuff. The advanced users will also have no problems.

Linux Truly is a better os that windows the only problem is that you have to know what you are doing to use it. Window is simple for any one to learn. If you want to see linux take over the windows desktop build a distro tunned to run games like doom and sell the game with the os. Every gamer in the world would love a system that is tunned to run there favorite game and have a front end based off a game. The only other issue with linux is there are no player that will read dvd's that are bought at the store. If this can be fixed it will rain as king in the os world.

No player that will play DvD's from the store?

What planet are you from? Ever tried xine or one of the variants thereof(kaffiene etc)? Every distro I've tried comes with xine standard and has played all of my DvD's without a hitch.

I have suse 9.2 it has xine and it will not play my dvd movies it even sends me to a spot on suse's site that tells you that there are patent issues with runing incoded dvd's with xine and Caffine. Unless there is aplugin that I am not aware of that fixes this.

There may be. I have only tinkered with Suse once and while Yast was nice, it was far too much of a hog for my liking. Maybe I've just been lucky with my dvd's and they've slipped under the radar. Who knows?
That's the same sort of thing you get when you try to rip to mp3... you can only rip to ogg because of legal issues, unless you dl a third party encoder.

Back
Top Bottom