n00bish RAM question

UK31337

Fully Optimized
Hi,

I've got an old Dell Dimension T600 which I'm trying to upgrade a little bit. Dell say it can run Windows 2000 with its original spec, so I'm switching to that from Win98 SE.

I'm going to need a new hard drive (having blown up the old one the other day....), but that isn't too big a problem; I just need IDE, and preferably about 80Gb.

My problem is with choosing RAM. My MoBo can take up to 768 MB, and it says in the manual that it has to be 100MHz DIMM's that I use. The 128 chip I already have in the machine has 166 pins, but all the new RAM and second-hand stuff I see on eBay with the same spec has 168 pins.

Am I missing something on my own chip? It works fine i.e. where are the 2 "missing" pins?

yea...your mobo can take 768 MB...but windows (pre xp) can only take 512 or it will go physco...get the 168 pins...sdram

You can even put 133 Mhz SDRAM no problem, and you can even put 1 Gig too. I have an older PC with 1 Gig of PC133 on a mobo that has a 100 Mhz bus and supposedly could only take 512.

But some motherboard won't take the PC133 when specs call for PC100. We had a guy on here that had that problem. It works for me too, so it depends on the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom