Is windows Service Pack 2 ok?

ComputerWizard

In Runtime
I have not yet updated to sp2. I am afraid to as my grandmas laptop was doing fine and running fast then my cousin went to microsoft.com and "updated" it then it ran much much slower. I do not want to risk slowing my laptop down. How is everyone experience with sp2?

mine is ok... although SP2 has to eat a little space
on the HDD. i think SP2 has more advantage than
SP1 coz of enhance security. all the patches of SP1 are all pack in the SP2.it has a built-in popUp
blocker, auto updates and more... i dont think that SP2 has cause his PC slower. maybe he did something or maybe a cause by virus...

SP2 Preinstall...

Make sure you have exited not disabled your antivirus program BEFORE you install sp2. A lot of people don't and it leads to problems. Also set a restore point BEFORE installing sp2. Gives you a chance to roll back to the previous setup if you do encounter problems.
As for slowing things down, sp2 is rather large and does more. SP2 is a rewrite of the core code that makes up XP. You can still go into the services and streamline what is not needed by you for the way you use your computer. Check this site out for the do and do nots in editing the services.
www.blackviper.com
This site is trusted by many of us old timers as being a source of reliable information.
Hope this helps.

Well it slowed my already slow celeron system bu i saw no probs with my main machine!!

Well...

On low performing machine you might want to leave sp2 off. But on middle and high end machines if installed correctly it will not degrade them. But if the proceedures are not followed it can be a real pain in the gasootenblats. I took it off of mine because it was mucking around with my local network.
www.blackviper.com can supply you with some tips on sp2 installs.
www.theeldergeek.com can too.

SP2 runs fine on my system (a depressing 466Mhz Celeron). It didn't seem to slow it down at all.
I did however, do a full clean install of XP from a CD (which included SP2 on it). I don't know if that could have made a difference or not.

I have a old computer tucked away in my closet if i wass to put sp2 Would it slow, it is a evan more depressing 400Mhz. This could be a good comp for my younger brother as a learning tool untill he can some day aford is own parts.

as of now i hav no prob w/ my puter
(Dell GX1 - P2 - 349 MHz) as is running
a SP2 smoothly... c",)
yah, i agree its the ownage.

Back
Top Bottom