Debate: Democratic Revolution in Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giancarlo

Banned
Contrary to what some have said even on this forum, democratic revolution has swept throughout the middle east and the old regimes are starting to crumble to pressure. The ones who said there was no progress being made have been proven wrong by the past several months, as my beliefs have taken hold in reality and these states began opening up.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0305/ts_krwashbureau/_bc_mideast_turmoil_wa_1

"WASHINGTON - Iraqis and Palestinians have voted in free elections. Lebanese have demonstrated peacefully to demand an end to Syrian occupation. In Egypt and Saudi Arabia, long-serving rulers have made modest concessions to democracy.

For President Bush (news - web sites) and his aides, the rapid-fire cascade of events across the Middle East in recent weeks is further proof that their decision to push democracy in the region and make it a top foreign policy goal was the right one.

Yet it's unclear whether the surprising changes coursing through an energy-rich region full of ethnic and religious conflicts will make the United States safer.

Nor is it clear that the United States can steer the events it helped to unleash in a democratic, peaceful direction.

"The big question is how will they manage the process. Is there a strategy to manage what will likely be very tumultuous changes over the next couple of years?" said Peter Khalil, a former official of the U.S. occupation authority in Baghdad, now at the Washington-based Brookings Institution.

Senior Bush administration officials acknowledge that they've had a string of good news from the Middle East lately, although they realize that there will be tough work and pitfalls ahead."

--

Difficulties still exist, but these will be smoothed as the belief in free expression begins to take hold. It looks as if I was right. :) The Iraq transition to democracy has led to a middle east wide revolution, refuting the anti-war protesters/groups and their hysteria in saying the whole thing would go wrong.

I'm all for democratic rights in the Middle East, because that place is or was one of the most volitile regions on earth. But my major, major gripe with the war, is the fact that Prime Minister John Howard, Pres GWB and PM Tony Blair, all said that we were going to Iraq because they had WMDs, then they changed their stories or at least Bush did once the realized there were no WMDs.

Oh here we go again with the hysteria from anti-war people. You need to understand the facts, that Saddam always had WMDs and I believe he had them up to months before the invasion happened. I think he destroyed them or sold them to others.

Additionally, if you anti-war people had your way Saddam would still be there murdering people.

Also one thing... WMDs have been found in Iraq. Chemical weapons in particular.. sarin gas anyone?

unlocked

the second i see any sign of this going of it wll be locked again and you will be punished

lets have a nice clean debate or else

This thread is about the middle east. As far I can see, Russia is part of Europe and Asia.

"Friday, 3 December, 1999, 15:06 GMT"

Also that article is so out of date it is unbelieveable. I think at that time Yeltsin was in power. Not that Putin is any better.

You can't really blame Yeltsin. The country was in chaos when he took power... You wouldn't have done much better.. trust me.

You need to understand the facts, that Saddam always had WMDs and I believe he had them up to months before the invasion happened.

Lol, no evidence of that.. If you're refering to the trucks that were seen leaving the coutry.. trust me there are other reasons people want to get out of the country.. They knew there was a war coming, not everyone wanted to stick around for it.

Hey, I wasn't blaming him for anything. I'm just saying the article was published when he was in power. Did I say I would do better? You are putting words in my mouth, once again

You have no evidence to prove me otherwise on the WMD issue. Also there has been chemical weapons discovered. Also remember that line in the state of union about uranium from Niger? It turns out it was actually true. Also there is a report showing Saddam's sons were poised to topple the ailing Saddam. There were military trucks going into Syria, and the regime in Syria is also baathist.

Look at the facts, please.

Giancarlo said:
Oh here we go again with the hysteria from anti-war people. You need to understand the facts, that Saddam always had WMDs and I believe he had them up to months before the invasion happened. I think he destroyed them or sold them to others.

Additionally, if you anti-war people had your way Saddam would still be there murdering people.

Also one thing... WMDs have been found in Iraq. Chemical weapons in particular.. sarin gas anyone?
If this had happened there would be a paper trail, If they can track uranium out of a third world country, I'm sure they can track 1st and 2nd world countries dealing in WMDs...

Now I was pro war, I think it was necessary for quite a few reasons...

It's time the Pro war people face up to the fact that there were not weapons of massdestruction, it was a bad excuse to go to war, the governments of Britain and US acted criminally overriding the UNs decision, and they lied to the public about WMDs as a excuss to go to war...
Anyone remember David Kelly, (prominent weapons expert, who said there were no WMDs, Sadam lacked the capabilities for world attacks, shortly after saying this he was railroaded from his job, publically shunned and driven to suicide (or killed depending on whether you believe conspiricy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom