Any speed freaks here?

Methost

In Runtime
Any speed freaks here? (Gamers)

I am building my own ultimate gaming machine. So far I have a case and a power supply. Next week I am buying the motherboard so I need to make up my mind which way to go.

I am leaning to AMD64. I want to try the new SLI video card configuration and AMD motherboards are the only ones that offer this.

The question I have is this ...

If I buy an AMD 939 cpu, I have to choose between 3800+ and 4000+. The 3800+ only has a 512k cache. The 4000+ has 1024, for a LOT more money. Am I wrong or isnt cache king when we are talking about high end CPUs? I can get a similer cpu from intel for less. If I go that way, I cant use the SLI configuration that I want. Will I notice a difference between the 4000 and the 3800?

Any advice or tips would be welcomed here.

I think if u check out bench marks there is a difference between the 3800+ and 4000+ it might not be huge but it depends on how power hugry u are. Never go with intel for games!!!

if ur willin to get a socket 754 u could get a 3700(1meg cache) but that would mean no sli... thats ok becuz i dont think any games use sli currently(and if any do then its very very few, and prob wont have much perf boost anyways). the 4000s benchmarks are basically identical to the fx-53s so its really good(beats the 3800 at least.) i doubt u need that much power tho...even 4 a gaming pc thats overkill. wat vid card(s)do u plan to get? if u dont get sli get the x850xt pe that thing pwns all.
heres some benchmarks
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041019/athlon64_4000-08.html
there should be more somewhere on the site...

SLI is usless currently. If you feel you must have the best just get a Sli board but only get a 6800ultra or 850 depending on you choice of ganes. Games just don't support SLI and it isn't that much as a boost since they can't take advantage of pci-e

Back
Top Bottom