Capital Punishment failing

Status
Not open for further replies.
humm, interesting topic, this is my two cents: -

i think that capital punishment is correct for certain crimes like murder. however the problem with it is if there is a wrong conviction, the person cannot just be let out of jail with compensation and a 'sorry' they are dead and that cannot be rectified. i believe that it is correct if it is 100% that the person is guilty, however if there is even a shread of doubt, the person should just be imprisoned and thats that. personally, i feel that if for something like murder, then capital punishment is justified, but it has to be 100% certain. also prision is a luxury in most places, they have more luxuries than some people who have done nothing wrong, this is morally wrong. i have no evidence or anything about this, it is my opinion and im only saying what i think

Many of those on death row are on their for like twenty years and they can have many forms of appeal.

prisons arent so bad. In fact many crimanals prefer jail better than they do the free world.

Such as last year a guy burnt down 1000 acre off a mountain side.

When asked why he did it, he replied, to get back into jail.

Hmm if jail was so bad why would he want back in?

that is a good point, in prision they have many more luxuries than some people have in real life, how is this right? i dont understand how this can be justified.

Well often the democratic party is behind putting a lot of these luxuries in prison. I saw a interview with convicts who said they tried getting back in prison because it is more luxurious then their own homes.

If you are against the death penalty, you're a softie.

How about you stop being so stereotypical. You hate it when people do it to you, so don't do it to us.

Guys.. there is a difference between Max security, and regular prisons. In max security, you sit in a tiny cell for 23 hours, you have a place to urinate and you get food. There is usually enough room for you to do push-ups, but that's it. You are let out for about one hour or less to play basketball or something, without anyone to talk to and you are gaurded at all times. That's not a "luxurious" life.

Prison life, like regular prison, does get outrageously luxurious, I agree. But that's not where murderers go.. maybe manslaughter, but not murder...

I'm sorry, but if you do not put a 1st degree or serial murderer to death, you aren't understanding. Again, I've seen documentaries on CourtTV about maximum security prisons being resorts as well. Who should I trust? You or CourtTV? I think I'll trust those who did these documentaries over you.

Regular prison, maximum security prison.. you're hilarious.

I say we maintain the death penalty, or we are letting these guys get off easy. Thank goodness for my views, Bush is probably going to put more republican judges on the Supreme Court and this ruling will be reversed.

Well, gian and airiox, you say that we're wrong, and that we're just saying crap and stating it as facts. Nope. I'm not. I'm giving you my opinion. Nowhere did i state that your an idiot if you don't believe in my opinion. Also, What you state isn't right either. It's your opinion.

I smell hypocrisy. albeit a little bit.

"It is... but it is not cruel and unusual. It is often painless and less expensive then life in prision. Besides because of liberals, life sentences usually mean 10 or 15 years."

Nope. Most people make this mistake. It is in actuality, more expensive to kill someone. Many people think that the death sentence just means that you kill the murderer. However, he has to go through various trials, and the poison doesn't cost nothing.

The death penalty is actually more costly.

I'll find you the facts.

You are doing that exactly. Stating something untruths and declaring them as truth. What I state isn't right? Really?

No it is actually cheaper to keep someone locked up. In reality, you are skewing the facts. It costs an average of $1 million more to keep someone locked up for their life.

The death penalty is actually less costly and I'll show you facts in just a bit disproving your false statements.

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/LWOP.htm

PENNSYLVANIA - The number of inmates sentenced to life without parole in Pennsylvania skyrocketed almost 650 percent in the last 30 years. As they age, the medical costs for those 3,718 people will soar as well. Medical care for elderly inmates cost $20 million last year. In eight years, as the elderly population rises, those health care costs will rise to at least $52 million, Corrections Secretary Jeffrey Beard said. And that's without adjusting the numbers for inflation. “Pennsylvania is one of the few states with life without parole,” Beard said. “Because of Pennsylvania laws, even if the prison population stops growing, the lifers will not. There is no question they will get ill and cost a lot of money.” Dr. Frederick Maue, chief of clinical services for Pennsylvania corrections, told legislators in April 2000 that the state has a constitutional duty to deliver health care to inmates that is consistent with community standards. Such thoughts led the state Senate to vote March 25 for a bipartisan task force to study the future costs of health care and alternatives to long-term imprisonment. House action is expected in June. “Now, it can cost $75,000 to $80,000 a year to keep them (older inmates) in prison,” said state Sen. Stewart J. Greenleaf, R-Montgomery County, who introduced the resolution. ”Are there less expensive alternatives that could deal with this, assuming they are not violent or a risk to society?” For a hint of the future, consider that state prisons hold 1,892 inmates 55 years of age or older, with the oldest being 92. In the last three years, geriatric inmates increased three times faster than the total population, Beard told legislators in February. Imprisonment speeds up the effects of aging, said Catherine McVey, director of the Bureau of Health Care Services for the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections. Older inmates who need help with bathing, dressing, grooming, eating and using the commode often remain in their prison infirmary. Those who need long-term skilled nursing care are permanently moved to Laurel Highlands or to a unit at Waymart state prison in Wayne County. Laurel Highlands, in Somerset County, opened in 1996 with 85 beds for the sickest of the sick. A $23 million expansion provided space for the long-term health care of 253 inmates, McVey said. The care of an old or seriously ill inmate averages $203 a day compared to $78 for the average inmate. State Sen. Hal Mowery, R-Camp Hill, said he voted for the task force study because of his vantage as chairman of the health and welfare committee. ”We need to look at geriatric care and the lifer population,” Mowery said. “Maybe we can treat them better outside rather than in prison. It costs a lot of money to keep our elderly prisoners. Why are we keeping elderly prisoners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom