linux, and desktop

Don't get me wrong. I have no intention at all to say that GNU/Linux shoudl be used based on it's price. It's just that the boxed edition of SUSE Pro 9.2 is expensive. It's 168 bucks here in my country. I'm merely offering an alternative which is free.

One thing you could do is try Linux From Scratch. You get to handpick everything you install. You basically build your own distro. There are a TON of options to choose from on LinuxFromScratch's FTP server. They have a good user guide and GREAT support on the forum if you get lost. This is a good way to start learning linux. This is what I choose for my first distro and I started learning very quickly because of it.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

I started off with Debian and Gnome. I know many people say that Debian is very advanced but if you just learn the basics, it is pretty self-explanatory.

Also, I love GNOME because it is faster and cleaner than KDE, Windows, Mac, etc.

I would not say that. Both have equal capabilities, it is just that KDE has verything closer to the surface.

KDE is better for beginners and Gnome is better for some experienced users. KDE is more geared towards the new-comer which is why it is the default desktop environment in Suse which is widley acknowledged as being one of the best distros to start with

The only reason that it is better for beginners (a fact that I disagree with in the first place) is because it resembles Windows XP more.

Gnome is cleaner, faster, and less obnoxious and I think that it would serve for beginners just as well as KDE, if not better.

I would agree with you hat Gnome is cleaner but then again is it not better that people can have a choice with how their GUI looks? Windows limits you to one - which is one of the reason I don't like it becuase you cannot change easily how things are layed out eithout windows becoming upset.

Back
Top Bottom