AIM keeps disconnecting

mabarnes536

Beta member
I have a small home network with a DSL connection. For my router I am using a Netgear WGR614, a 4 port 802.11g router. My problem is that AIM keeps disconnecting and reconnecting all the time, about every 5 to 10 minutes. It does it while using a wireless connection or wired and I have also tried it on three different computer with 2 different OSes. I am not sure if it is my DSL connection for my router. One of my friends is having the same problem. He has the same provider of DSL, Verizon, and the same router but he lives about 30 miles away from me. Any ideas?

mine disconnects and reconnects randomly also, i have cable. I think its just the aim service.

In other place such as my school, it does not disconnect. Also at my grandfathers house, it does not disconnect there either and he also have Verizon DSL. Do you have the same Netgear Router I have?

no, this computer is directly connected to the internet. Like i said, it does it to me at random, sometimes after days of being online, sometimes after a few hours. It really doesnt bother me to much.

I never get disconnected from AIM without my entire connection being gone. So I would have to guess it is your router. If you have two computers connected to aim at the same time, I would check to see if both computers are forwarding different ports. I had that problem and it ended up being the ports not configured properly. This is only the case if you get disconnected completely.

Back
Top Bottom