ping times and lag

deeceepc

Beta member
hi

I game online and am suffering lag on any server further away than Germany , my pings are generally under 100 on uk / near european servers, 250+ according to various central european game servers but go 350+ on American servers. Yet when i run a ping test with pcpitstop program my us pings are around 150
I have a 1meg adsl account with plusnet of which the speeds vary from 700 to 900 , i recently upgraded to this from a 512 account but it hasnt made a difference.
My internet is via a Solwise 130 router and Linksys efah05w hub , my puter specs are AMD64 3000,1.5gig ram,GF6600gt 128 graphics,WD 80g HD.

Is the router a good/bad model ? are there better ones , whats the best . or am i looking at the problem from the wrong angle .

I know nothing about these specific model but I had a problem similar to yours. I had just got cable internet 2.5meg. And I was getting high pings and low bandwidth. So I called my ISP up and they sent someone out to look at my computer and the lines. They redid the cable in the attic and left saying I had full signal. So I go to test my bandwidth and it was just as bad as before. So I called up my ISP again and they said it was the technicians last job before he quit and that he didn't want to dig up a line.

So after about 4 more technicians comming out the 5th one finally replaced the underground line in front of my house. After he did that I had great speeds. I was getting around 3.5megbits. I was happy.

So that just might be your problem. You might have a bad line underground or in the attic/basement. So I would recommend calling your service provider.

Back
Top Bottom