Quick Networking Help

thanks for the info, I dont have any existing wireless, and our Laptop has a G wireless card in it, so we're getting G everything. Is it going to hurt going with a cheaper router, or should i make sur ei get "top of the line" stuff.

thanks for the replys, i'll be ordering my wireless stuff tonight. I found a really cheap router on newegg and a cheap wireless adapter, i'm going to check ebay for any deals, but i'm for sure getting 802.11g hardware.

I'd go with something like linksys or d-link or even belkin, those are the big 3 I think. anyways, none of them are really that expensive. I also have an 802.11G wireless network in my house with all Linksys components and I would recommend that.

I have a Linksys router and evreone says they wish they had one but each time I tried to network it the internet wont work, I think I nead to restart the computer after setting up the router.

earthlink lol... they are only saying that, so that u can pay them more money, heck why not make your house a WiFi cafe, jst kidding. (dont unless you have t1). go wiht a nice linksys dont pay extra money for motorolla (way overpriced) Linksys has the wireless G with speedboost thing, and id imagine that pretty fast, but if your gonna be transfering files through computers definatley go with G because B is just horrible on transfer times.
BTW xp beast's router wont work because he's to lazy to go to his isp to get the required info needed to put into the router, he just thinks he can plug everyhting and it will work, but he's to afraid to call verison and get his DNS and gateway and other things to enter into his router....

my linksys router and the cd that came with it auto-detected all that stuff....I just connected the router first by ethernet cable behind my dsl modem and inserted the cd and it set everything up automatically.

matthiasj said:
well the only thing i worry about is reception...
just make sure that you mount the router high, and on the second floor of the house (if applicable) so the signal spreads throughout the house more completely. if you do that, you shouldn't have any problems

Back
Top Bottom