CPU speed running slowly?

d_source

Daemon Poster
Ok, you know when you check ur properties of your computer by clicking on my computer icon, it shows all that you have running: your OS with service packs, processor type and speed and memory amount. OK so my specs are in my sig, i have a 3500+ AMD 64. Sometimes when i click my computer it shows my processor speed at 954mhz, sometimes at 1700mhz and sometimes at 2.21ghz...WTF is going on? How can the speed possibly be changing like that. It should be a 2.21ghz processor. Does anyone know whats going on there?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, i ran everst home edition and i got this from my cpu:

CPU Clock 1005.05 MHz

CPU Multiplier 5.0x

CPU FSB 201.01 MHz (original: 200 MHz)

Memory Bus 201.01 MHz

But when i hit refresh it cpu multiplier changes to 11.0x and the cpu clock doubles, then changes back to these results quickly.

The reason that your CPU speed keeps dropping is becuase of the cool 'n' quiet technology that AMD incorporate in their processors. This technology works by lowering your clock speed when your not needing it. It is designed o save power basically, but don't worry when you are gaming or doing high performance apps the speed will come back up

Yea thats right.

Thing is though, my motherboard has enabled that and my CPU supports it, yet the CPU fan speed moves up and down, but the core of the CPU doesn't... weird...

*KaGe*

It scared my bro wen his laptop was suddenly running at 700mhz!! But he just needed re-assurance and a warm blanket!!

Cant you disable cool and quiet in your bios? Im pretty sure I did, because while I was there I also turned off MSI DOT (Dynamic Overclocking Tech.) which does the same thing. only it goes above your normal cpu frequency. (overclocking for dummies)

Yeah, you can. I did it... I found it annoying. That's just me though... If you still have the instructions for your motherboard it should be in there.

WOW thats a releif man. Actually i am the one that installed the cool n quiet technology, so i am sure their is a way to shut it off. I dont mind that its on as long as i get the right amount of CPU support when i need it. What scared me is that i have been testing my 3dmark scores and they arent close to what they should be. Maybe its b/c of that that they arent up to par. 3dmark03 was in the low 8000's where people with comparable machines reached scrores around 10-12k.

Also, when i play HL2 now (after installing cool n quiet) i noticed that sometimes the game stalls breifly (just for a few seconds) and that could be the processor issue as well. Definitely not worth having that software on.

I will shut it off and see if their is a difference, thanks for the help everyone. Should i see if i can shut off the DOT on my MSI card as well? Will that make a difference too?

Back
Top Bottom