German economy slumps

Nice try.

http://www.nci.org/d/du-eu-reuters3601.htm

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - An experts' report submitted to the European Commission on Tuesday concluded that there is no evidence that exposure to radiation from depleted uraniumcan harm human health.

The study was ordered in January as European Union states faced a media furore over fears that the substance, used to harden armour-piercing ammunition, was to blame for leukaemia afflicting soldiers who served in Bosnia and Kosovo.

The European Parliament called for a moratorium on the ammunition--in service with NATO allies the United States, France and Britain--and Commission President Roman Prodi said he thought it should be banned.

``The experts have concluded that radiological exposure to depleted uranium could not result in a detectable effect on human health,'' a Commission statement said.

``Although the possibility of a combined effect of exposure to toxic and carcinogenic chemicals and to radiation could not be excluded, the experts concluded there was no evidence to support this hypothesis.''

Tuesday's report was the latest official ``all-clear'' for depleted uranium munitions. A committee of 50 countries set up by NATO at about the same time as the Commission ordered its study concluded that there was no evidence to support claims of a link between DU munitions and cancer.

NATO, which was loudly accused in some media of covering up a deliberate war crime, was likely to welcome the EU report, although the controversy subsided some weeks ago.

European Environment Commissioner Margot Wallstrom said the findings would be studied and taken into account in examining the need for further action to protect health and the environment in the Balkans.

A further statement could be expected in a few weeks and would take account of other reports on DU due to be published in the interim, notably by the United Nations Environment Programme.

More citations..

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/01/24/uranium.nato.02/

Ummm...I thought this thread was about the slumping German economy...and now it's about Suddam Hussein and his WMD's?

Giancarlo said:
A slight yet big economic depression? When? 1929? I don't think so. In our life times? Umm the last biggest recession was in 1979. That's before I was born. 2001 was not a recession nor was it a depression. Unemployment also stayed below 7% in this country. That's still not high. Again there never was a recession in the US when Bush took over, nor was there any in the time he has been in power.

I said a slight, if not big economic depression. Not a slight yet big one. Read what I actually posted.

There wasn't an economic depression nor recession in 2001, or any time under Bush's adminstration. There has to be two quarters of GDP declines for it to qualify as a recession. Sorry.

There wasn't an economic depression nor recession in 2001, or any time under Bush's adminstration. There has to be two quarters of GDP declines for it to qualify as a recession. Sorry.

Bush can't be blamed for the deficit of 2002/2003/2004, but you can't really say that some of his actions didn't contribute to it.

And whatever happened to "Education being available to everyone at the same level"? I'm sorry, but it is undeniable that unless you have a very good skill that deserves a scholarship, the poor and minorities can't always get into the good universities. Unless it's a private center, like standford, campuses should have reasonable prices.. of course, you get a very good education, but the poor should be able to afford a nice college.

In britain we have a loan system, students take loans to pay for their tuition fees, which are repaid directly to "The Student Loan Company" from their wages...

Also uk students only pay a percentage of their tuition fees, whilst the local education authoirty pay the other part, (the split is something like a 5th) -students pay ~£1100 ($2096USD) whilst the LEA pay the other ~£4000 ($7,624.79USD)...

That is per year...
Students are means tested for their loans, (meaning the contribution they are expected to make is assessed when deciding how much the loan will be)...
The loan covers everything the student needs... (or is suposed to).
the minimum loan is (~£3000) whilst the maximum is (~£5000, £4000 is installments and tuition fees paid [which account for the other £1000])...

If you have troubles prooving income and are not therefore eligable for the full loan (like me) you have to work (see the jobs thread for how I paid for my food and rent)...

Another thing the local authorities pay for is health and dental care... and state benefits are much better in the UK than they are in the US (or so I'm told)...though the us has a better system with vouchers rather than cash (am I right here?).

Now this is the big question...
taxation pays for practically everything in the UK, from unemployment to health benefits, each student in UK unis recieve a massive contribution to their tution fees...

taxation is as follows...
Starting rate 10% up to £2,020
Basic rate 22% from £2,021 to £31,400
Higher rate 40% over £31,400

I fit within the basic rate and so pay a little under a quarter of my wages in tax...

The question is, what sort of taxes are paid in America? I feel I am paying a relativly large chunk back, what sort of amount do American citizens pay, and why can America not suport it's youth, (-professionals of tomorrow) with university subsidies as british systems do, why does America not have a nationalised health service etc?

and are you any better off (considering te figures I quoted) having to pay for all thse things yourself (and benig able to choose your level of payment) than we are being forced to pay a certain amount?

(I'm sure Gian will be of great help answering this question, so this does seem like a perfect place to ask it...).

So far as scholarships go, you don't have to be that specail to get one!

I had a scollarship and gave it up because I didn't like the institution (scholarship was to do broadcast technology, sponsor was the BBC, institution was tied to Demontfort Uni...) (I also applied for various Army and Navy sponsorships but didn't want to be tied to the forces upon leaving Uni...)

Back
Top Bottom