P4 2.5ghz or Sempron 3000

dannieboiz

Beta member
Fry's ad have a 2.5ghz P4 with mobo combo for 139.99 and an AMD Sempon 3k for 129.99.... I'm putting together and HTPC for my home theatre and the computer will be on almonst 24/7. Which CPU will give me more bangs for the bucks? I assume the AMD will run hotter than the Intel right? Any advise is greatly appreciated, I've been away from the PC building for longer than I would like to and have no clue which is which anymore...

I don't think the AMD will run hotter than the P4, AMD's usually run cooler than P4's. I know that some Prescott P4's run REALLY hot, I believe I read somewhere on this forum that their Prescott P4 ran at about 70C. My AMD Athlon 3000+ (overclocked to 2.2 GHz) never has exceeded 47C.

Hope that helps. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this...)

-Jamxx

AMD are usually good on cooling, but a word of advice about semprons... they are good, and hey OC well, but they DO NOT MULTI TASK WELL. I can say that for the ones I use anyway, they usually run pretty cool even when OC'ed, a little bit above 100f but just web browsing and itunes at the same time makes the proc temp go up by about 10-20f. i dont know if this would be a problem for an htpc, seing as they usually are only doing one thing at once anyway... but other than that semprons are great.
BTW get one with a t-bred core and not a thorton core, the thortons may run cooler, but the t-breds OC better...

Aces is correct about the multi task part ven some AMD xp such at multi tasking.
dannieboiz by the way I order that same one your talking about it's actually a 2.53. the bad new is that Fry''s ran out of the cpu and my order is on back-order. Called Fry's today about this and was told it would take about a week or more. But I"m going this saturday to a computer show in Pomona Ca so I may just cancell my order if I find a better deal at the show.

btw keep in mind that the semprons use the same architechture as the A64's except that they dont have the 64-bit set of instructions and they half half the cache.

Back
Top Bottom