one long beep!!!!!!

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
i just got a load of old bits and pieces together to build a second p.c.
i have a p4 chip 1.7 . i have an asus mobo for a p4. memory is new, 128gb pc133. i have old 5gb hdd, and second hand cd rom.
i just threw it all together and gues what? one long beep when i switch on! i reckon that the chip is fcucked, i got it off ebay lol. well i will try the chip in my main p.c now and post to tell you if that was the problem.
in the nean time feel free to guess where the fault is.

one beep could signify your memory is having problems. Try re-seating the memory first. If the error still occurs, replace the memory with known good chip.

ok, chip was ok. changed memory to another slot and hey presto she lives.
now for a ew problem!! while running my boot up discs, i get this mesage "the file pcmia.sys is corrupted" what is that all about? any helpwill be greatfully recieved.

try it in another system, if it doesn't happen in those then u've probably got hardware troubles!

ok, got the thing to boot up now, well kind of.
i re sited the memory in another slot and the beep has gone. now i can load up the boot disc fine. but when i run the xp cd it asks me to format a partition on my hard drive. i select the partition and attempt to partition using ntfs file system. twice it got o 30% formated and stopped (froze) and once got to 70% and froze. any ideas what might cause that? could it be best to format the whole hard drive with the partitions deleated?

Back
Top Bottom