Quick Networking Help

matthiasj

Baseband Member
I really need some advice, I have Earthlink DSL, and we just purchased 2 new computers, a new desktop, and a new laptop. So now we have 3. I want to network all the computers on a Wireless network, but earthlink says i've gotta sign up or something for it, and pay 10 a month extra. I dont see how they can tell i'm doing it, if i just buy a router and stuff, but maybe they could.

So my question is, Would it be possible to just put my router and wireless adapters, and network my computers without any hassle from earthlink? Or are they going to be able to tell, and charge me, or could there be a lock on it that makes it where i cant network?

Any help would be appriciated, cause i wanna get this stuff ordered if i can. I'm not exactly a "novice" when it comes to computers, so anything kinda complicated i can handle, like ways to bypass the security.

Thanks,
Matt

noooo, you don't need to pay more money to your isp...just buy your wireless router and your wireless adapters and hook it up....they'll never know

Yup, get a router and adapters. There's no way they can tell, unless they physically go over to your house and inspect your network, which they won't do.

Yes, that is true. I've talked to network admins where I work about having mulitple PCs networked to use the internet. Very easily done without telling the ISP. However, they can monitor the bandwidth.

well thats reassuring. I have another question, Is a router a router? I'm getting 802.11g router, and theres some cheap ones on newegg, and some more expesive ones, whats the difference? Or does it matter, also, is there any difference in wireless adaprters? My room is going to be around 25-30 ft. from the router, with maybe a wall or 2 between, is my signal still going to be good?

Thanks

i've heard that to hook up a wireless network, theres settings you have to change for it to work...is this true? I figured it was plug and play?

802.11g uses 54Mbps wireless networking standard that's almost five times faster than the widely deployed Wireless-B (802.11b) products found in homes, businesses, etc. but since they share the same 2.4GHz radio band, Wireless-G devices can also interoperate with existing 11Mbps Wireless-B equipment.

Since both standards are built in, you can protect your investment in existing 802.11b equipments, and migrate to the new screaming fast Wireless-G standard as you wish. Getting something new is always the way to go so get the 802.11g.

They make matching wireless adapters using the same 802.11g standards too. I personally like Linksys. www.newegg.com carries a buch of these wireless routers and wireless adapters for desktop and laptop PCs.

If you are planning on having a home network that includes printers, scanners, etc., it may take a while to set-up.

It comes with excellent directions for easy setup. It has a quick install manual and a user's guide to get you through installation process including software configuration. Wonderfully layed out.

Back
Top Bottom