Microsoft Photo Editor

leothelyon

Beta member
Hi everyone!
I need help! Microsoft Photo Editor (MPE) does not open .jpg images. It has for the past 8 years but after doing a clean installation of WinXP Pro it fails to open .jpg or .jpeg images. I have already tried a number of things from associateing the filter file to MPE in folder options and I have searched Microsofts knowledge base, which has been of little help. It said that I need to install the right files from an MS Office dics which I don't have. So the next step was to call MS and they said that they can't help me with this program??? But suggested that I buy an Office 2000 or 2002. I've already bought MS Home Essentials years ago where MPE came with. I believe that all I need is a plugin or some information to write to the registry. Those files do not show the name, path or extension to the .jpg filter while the rest of the file extensions that MPE uses, does show all that info. Short of going out and buying Office software, is there a simple solution to get MPE to open .jpg images again?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Leo

In your control panel Add/ Remove check on the add/remove windows components to make sure Paintbrush is installed it opens .jpg.
If you do a bit of P2P check to see if you wouldn't find a copy of Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop Pro floating around. THEY open .jpg and most type of images.

zero4zero said:
In your control panel Add/ Remove check on the add/remove windows components to make sure Paintbrush is installed it opens .jpg.
If you do a bit of P2P check to see if you wouldn't find a copy of Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop Pro floating around. THEY open .jpg and most type of images.

Thanks Zero
You would think Microsoft would stand behind their products! I'll check into what you have suggested.

Leo

Bridger said:
If you want, you could download the GIMP, it's a very good editor...

www.gimp.org

Thanks Bridger
But I'm alittle causious about loading anything outside a Microsoft product unless they have approved the program. For now I have adjusted to changing the jpg images to bitmap and back in MS Paint and crop in MPE. If there was a way to transfer the Paint jpg filter into MPE, that would be great!

Thanks again, Leo

Back
Top Bottom