German economy slumps

Giancarlo said:
Our turn is over? What do you mean by that?

Well we did have a slight, if not big economic depression. I remember that...so many people lost their jobs. I think it was a bit before Bush took over. Since my memory of that isn't real good, feel free to correct me.

EDIT>>> BTW jack, we weren't fighting. We were just disscussing stuff about a past member and his homeland, Germany.

A slight yet big economic depression? When? 1929? I don't think so. In our life times? Umm the last biggest recession was in 1979. That's before I was born. 2001 was not a recession nor was it a depression. Unemployment also stayed below 7% in this country. That's still not high. Again there never was a recession in the US when Bush took over, nor was there any in the time he has been in power.

That depends on how you look at it. The budget defecit was at an all time low for like the past 30 years in 2004. I'm not sure on the exact numbers before Bush senior, but during Clinton's time, the budget was positive. In that sense, our economy was down. But no, we were not in a depression.

The budget deficit was apparent in 2000, and was growing until 2004. It has to do with additional expenditure placed on defense. This had to happen. But the budget deficit is very misinterpreted by the left wing in the country. You should not measure the economy on the deficit. You should should measure the economy on the credit rating of the country. The United States has an AAA+ Credit Rating. That means any debt we have is very easy to pay off. The highest that can be given. We were not in a recession because that's two consecutive quarters of shrinking.

Anyways, the US economy is doing very well right now and is very powerful.

http://www.newratings.com/analyst_news/article_711684.html

"LONDON, February 28 (newratings.com) – Analysts at First Berlin expect the US dollar and equity markets to respond positively to the recent economic data in the US, which revised upward the GDP growth rate for 4Q04 to 3.8%.

In a research note published this morning, the analysts mention that the annual GDP growth rate for 4Q04 was revised on Friday last week from 3.1% to 3.8%. The numbers for GDP contributions from business investment, exports, construction and inventories were raised, while the figures for personal consumption spending were modestly lowered, First Berlin says. The analysts expect the upcoming economic reports to demonstrate continued strength in the non-farm payrolls and consumer sentiment, and to underline a positive outlook for 1Q05."

4Q04 = Fourth Quarter, 2004

While the GDP has grown, you can't really deny the fact that the deficit is still there. While it is very possible to pay off, it means that we cannot do all the things we wish... And by all means.. our medical and education systems are still suffering. You can't deny this, you live in california too. And don't blame it all on our state goverment. The goverment is supposed to split money for these civil services equally, but our high schools can't afford any new computer, nor new textbooks for several subjects. Keep in mind that this is a rich community, with no poverty/homeless'ness. And yet, we still have more then enough money to do weapons research and to support all those troops in Iraq.... I won't say anything else on that.

Oh here we go again. The deficit argument that just doesn't stack up. It is a natural occurrance (meaning you can never pay it off completely). And as usual I don't agree with about anything you said. Our medical and education systems are not suffering. There is more funding going into them. I won't deny it about California because state funding is drying up, but federal funding is growing. California's own screw up was more the fault of the California state legislature and Former Governor Gray Davis. I can say the worthless democrats in this state caused this state to decline. I will blame on the state government. You won't tell me what to think because afterall I'm in college and I'm educated in these matters. The federal government helps individual states, but when these states so grossly misuse funding that has been so generously given, like California, it is not the fault of the federal government but of the state. You're angering me.. about your anti-troop rhetoric. What do you suggest we do? We are at war. In WWII, it was citizens who managed to get spare rubber to donate to the US government. People of these days, especially the youth, are weak willed. And that's all I'll say. In fact, I'll say this, California's university system is still in very good shape. And first off, rich areas have civil services in good shape. So quite frankly, I don't buy your argument.

And you can't deny the economy is so damn good... and the fact you liberals don't have an argument against Bush to begin with.

Also weapon research? Hmmm.... is that why the Bush adminstration is announcing cuts to the Pentagon budget that aren't needed (like supporting a 40+ year old aircraft carrier that should of been decommissioned.. it costs +$1 billion to operate annually)? Something in your argument just doesn't add up.

It is a natural occurrance (meaning you can never pay it off completely)

The deficit was positive in 2000.

Our medical and education systems are not suffering.

Yes they are...

I can say the worthless democrats in this state caused this state to decline.

Blah blah blah.. Democrats have run this state for too long for you to blame it all on them. If you hate the way that democrats run this state, move out. Because they're staying.

You're angering me.. about your anti-troop rhetoric. What do you suggest we do?

We shouldn't be in Iraq in the first place. That has been my stance for-ever. And when the fuck did I say I didn't support our troops. Stop messing with my words. Our troops, now that they're there because of Bush, need all the support they can get.

California's university system is still in very good shape

Yeah. 8,000 for undergrads in Berkeley. Great price...

rich areas have civil services in good shape.

Last year, our school system almost lost it's library. Our computers are from 98 - 99. Our health textbooks are 11 years old. Our sports fee's go up every year. Our lunch fee's go up every year.

(like supporting a 40+ year old aircraft carrier that should of been decommissioned..

Dude, stop repeating the same thing. You've already mentioned this.. Bush isn't a hero because of this, and our economy isn't saved. Stop repeating the same fact....

By war money, I mean the fact that a couple weeks ago, bush asked for 81 (i think) billion dollars for the wars we're fighting. Now, if we weren't there in the first place...

blah blah blah our educations systems are not getting enought money. that my freind is a load of crap. yes they want more but beleive me I have seen the figures for these school systems and they are wasting money massively. schools are wasting their money they are channeling funds that should go to one subject into their sports or into buying a statue so their school looks nicer. schools are using more money becouse kids these days are disrespectful to the equiptment they do have. So face it the school systems that complain are the corrupt ones not our goverments. I know you love to listen to your favorite teacher complain about not having enought funds but dont start blaming it on bush or any other goverment offical becouse its not their fault. in fact I find it funny that they are doing the right thing by cutting school funding with this no child left behind stuff. maybe that will wake some people up and stop the wasteful spending.

Back
Top Bottom