hd problems (again)

mr.monger

BSOD
ok well i thought my pc problems were finally going to be over when i fixed my hd but it turns out i was wrong. i installed mcafee a few days ago. big mistake. it wiped off 3 of my partitions on my new hd including the one t was in. mcafee=S.O.B. well i know this should be easily fixed but it is not apparently. maxblast wont let me format ant boot drive so i cant fix it unless i change the boot drive. how do i change my boot drive from one to another w/o installing windows? i have windows copied to another drive so all i have to do is change it. ow do i do this? i h8 windows

Hi,

To me it seems like your hard drives in danger. I don't see how an antivirus program could delete partitions...

I'd just back up the data, and then try and get a new drive...

Thats all I can think of. Is everyone having bad luck with drives lately? :s

hehe, I've been told when building my new PC to wear one of those protective arm bands including hard drive, because I am very high in static... evil...

*KaGe*

well it was working fine until i installed thing... so do u kno how to change boot thing? thats all i need

Yes! PLEASE USE THOSE ANTI-STATIC THINGS! Trust me, they help... Right before I started to build my computer, I touched the case (it had nothing in it)with a jacket on (it has a fuzzy inside) and... ZAP! I could really feel the static electricity. I was so glad that it didn't happen while I was building my computer... Now I'm even scared to put in a case fan without that thing!

Use it! You won't regret the annoyance it causes!

As for your hard drive though, I don't know. I do agree with Kage on this one though... It may be time to start looking for a new HDD. They're not too expensive nowadays.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

-Jamxx

dude the hd is new.. i bought it like a week ago heh. im not buyin another one. maxtor ultra 16 250 gig 16 mb cahche. so i doubt its the hd. just plz tell me how to change the boot thing thats all i need. im sure its not the hd becuz it was working fine and one of the partitions still works. people need to read the whole posts...

ohhhhhhhhhh you mean change it from slave to master and stuff...

well just change the jumpers in the back of the HDD, and yeah read the manuals to where to put it hope that helps..

I read your entire post. Kage mentioned the static thing, and I just commented about that. However, I didn't know exactly what you meant in the first post about the boot drive, because I'm an idiot. Sorry about that... :D

-Jamxx :D

no its not the jumpers... there is always a boot drive or some other boot device in everyones pc. it is the drive you boot from. i want to kno how to change this. my current boot drive is a slave so it obviously doesnt matter wich one it is (slave or master) all i want to know is how to switch the boot thing from one drive to another. ALL i want to kno is how to do this. nothing else.

Hi,

I think I get it now, sorry, hehe

Have both drives in, including the one with windows now on, and go into Bios (usually Del at bootup)

Go into the second selection (Not sure exactly, because I'm on a college machine, and some are different)

Find where it says '1st boot device' and change this to the HD with windows now on (Thats what the bootup will look for first to boot to). Should be IDE1, or 2 depending on how the hard drives are set up... so just switch between.

The second boot device would then either be the 2nd harddrive or Floppy, CD rom drive, etc as a backup (The 2nd thing it'll look for if one fails for instance)

After making changes simply Save and Exit, and your done!

(This way of doing things is useful to speed the process of boot up, up, because some systems would be set up to look at the floppy, then cdrom, then finally the hard drive... It also means you can switch the first device to the cd rom, floppy, if ever you needed to put a disc in)

This should work, and it should boot up on the right one. Make sure the drive with windows is now a master though, and the other one is a slave, just so it doesn't confuse. It should work without doing that though. :)

I really do hope i've got it right this time. Sorry for the mess ups... I obviously didn't read it properly since the teacher was moving around the class :p... I'm sorry about that though, and hopefully, you now have your answer :)

*KaGe*

alright thanks im just gonna do that... i dont think ill install win 2k again im just gonna get win xp pro or w/e tired of this crappy windows. only reason i use it is becuz of games... game ppl should be more considerate of linux.windows sux

Back
Top Bottom