how many times will your optical drives open and close?

Instead of testing the drive tray to see how many times it would open & close...

I would have played around with the rpm Motor, to see
if i could get a better performance out of it, by tweaking the moter settings, but that's just me.

We do that at school... Haha, my friend and I broke one after about 500 times or so... Then we ran away. :D

By the way, these computers were OLD old. Like Pentium II old. That was only last year! Now we have 2.8 GHz Pentium 4's though, so it's all good now. :D

seems like an idea
only prob is the only optical drive i got is a 110 dollar dvd burner :( i sure as hell aint doing it to that perhaps the floppy drive LOL
jack

hey i have an old CD drive lol but i'm not that bored.... maybe in the weekend i think its an 4x drive!

~mr mixx~ said:
Instead of testing the drive tray to see how many times it would open & close...

I would have played around with the rpm Motor, to see
if i could get a better performance out of it, by tweaking the moter settings, but that's just me.

good idea, see how fast you can get it to open...see if you can get the cd to shoot all the way across the room.....lol I ain't touching my drives, sony cd-rw and pioneer dvd-rw I have old ones but they're already broke (coffee was too heavy and the tray's broke off)

DOnt use new ones, BTW im jealous, one of the people who works for me is still in school, he's a senior, but anywho his schools computer lab just bought about 20 P4 2.8ghz shuttle XPC's with 17in LCD's we didnt have those things when i was in school....

It seems some people have WAAAAAAAY too much free time ;P

Well, not really the same test, but I remember many of the drives at school these old 486 computers used were really weird. FIrst off, the mechanism sounds rather grindy anyway. While it was going back in, if you held the tray for a sec, it would pop, then go back in. After sitting there for a second or so, it would pop like 5 times, then eject back out! LOL, I got(or had) a few of those old drives if anyone's curious what i'm talking about.

As for testing, I'm not about to sit by my drives and see how many times they'll go in and out. I got some oldies, but still. Perhaps if there's a program to do this, I'll let it go for a while...

Back
Top Bottom