Laptop not recognizing ram

Hmmm...

Kingston's normally pretty good about not screwing up. You really need to take the card and the computer to where ever you got the ram and let them check it. Reguardless of how many chips on both sides what you describe is double density and it's not seeing the balance of the card. When you're playing with laptops this old such as mine also, finding a ram card that works is a major pain. I'm sorry but with out the system right here in front of me I just can't advise you what else to do.

i figured out the problem. Hp gave me the wrong information when i emailed them about how much memory the computer will support. Turns out it's only 256mb. Right now I have 184mb, and am wondering if there will really be a difference going from 184 to 256? Also, is it ok that i keep the 256 chip in there even though each slot only supports 128?

Laptop are very critical to the type of RAM you put in, and if your laptop was built to support 256 Meg, putting in more will likely not work. You probably have your 256 Meg and your video card is taking up a chunk of you RAM so you have 184 Meg left. Your laptop if full!

if each slot only supports 128, you can't put a 256 ram stick in it, it simply won't work. and if your computer is supposed to take pc100 ram.....buy pc100 ram. it's that simple

I;ve got the 256 meg stick in there right now and its working fine, but only being recognized as 128mb. I know that that's all that will be recognized because the slot only supports 128mb. I was simply asking if any adverse effects could occur from leaving the 256mb chip in; i bought it from an online store and it would be cheaper for me to keep the 256mb chip in it and buy an additional 128mb stick to get the full 256 that i want.

wouldn't it be cheaper to buy 2 128 mb sticks than a 256 and a 128??...if thats all it supports, why buy more? thats pointless

Since i bought the 256 chip from an online vendor, I will have to pay return shipping and a 20% restocking fee. If i returned it and bought two 128mb chips it would cost me more than just buying one 128mb chip and keeping the 256mb chip....trust me i calculated it out. I know i am not fully utilizing the capability of the 256mb chip, but i don't see a reason to spend more money than i have to. all i want to know is if i leave the 256mb chip in with only 128mb being recognized because the slot only supports 128mb is there any chance of damaging anything.....so far its running fine.

Back
Top Bottom